18

Nervous excitement quickened his heart as he approached the entrance of the restaurant just before eleven. Thirty years of friendship with Emily and his life with Olivia hadn't prepared him in the slightest for what lay ahead. He had spent no less than ten minutes in his car reassuring himself that there was nothing to fear and so much to gain, and yet, his hand trembled as he gripped the handle and pulled the door open.

"Hello, our kitchen's closed, but if all you want is coffee and maybe some pie—" a friendly woman named Whitney said before Matilda interrupted.

"He's here for me," Matilda said as she carried a large bag of napkins out of the kitchen area.

"Oh, so you're the one she's being go'n on about. Well, it's really nice meet you, I'm Whitney."

"Bill... It's nice to meet you too," he replied softly as he shuffled his feet.

Matilda smiled then pointed towards a seat at a table covered with napkin holders, "Just have a seat, I just have to refill these."

Bill stepped towards the table and sank into a chair while Whitney made a sweeping gesture with both hand and said, "Go on, you get changed. Shoo! I'll take care of these."

"Are you sure?"

"Go!" Whitney said as she turned Mathilda by the shoulders and gave her a nudge towards the kitchen. "I'm married and don't have a life."

Whitney took a seat at the table across from Bill then tore open the bag of napkins. She smiled then said, "She's been looking at her watch every ten minutes for the last four hours. She's been looking forward to this like you couldn't imagine."

"Well, I'll take that as a good sign," Bill responded with a wide smile.

"She's a sweet kid, we've done some catering work together over the last couple years and I'll tell you, I haven't seen her this excited about anything since I met her."

Bill stared at one of the napkin holders then asked, "While I'm waiting, can I help you with this?"

As Bill stuffed a wad of napkins into a holder, Whitney saw Matilda step out of the kitchen. She wore a yellow and black check pattern sleeveless dress with a simple black belt and shoes. As she walked, she pulled her hair out of the ponytail and let it fall forward over her shoulders.

"Oh my god! She's gorgeous!" Whitney said with glee.

Bill turned and saw Matilda just as she stepped up to the table and stuttered as he spoke, "W-Wow, I, ahhhh, I've never seen you in anything but, well, restaurant...cloths. You look... amazing."

Matilda tipped her head forward as she fidgeted with the hem of the dress she had borrowed from another waitress. For years she had hidden herself away at home or in baggy sweatshirts and pants. The black t-shirt and slacks that made up her work attire never felt flattering on her. In that dress she felt different. Nervous and yet excited. Bill and Whitney's remarks about her appearance conveyed what she hoped to feel about herself but couldn't completely accept.

After leaving the restaurant, they began discussing where to go. Bill walked Matilda to the passenger door of his car and pulled it open. She hesitated as her eyes scanned the area.

"Well, the coffee shop is closed for renovations and most of the dining rooms around here close at eleven. There are a few clubs but they're pretty loud. There is O'Bryan's right here. Whitney says it's nice, quiet, and they sometimes have a live band," Matilda said as she looked across the parking lot.

Bill looked over at the suggested pub on the opposite side of the lot and replied, "Sure, that sounds good."

Matilda stepped away from the car and suggested, "Let's just walk over."