31

Matilda walked beside Bill with her arm linked in his. Her eyes wandered about the yard where party goes mingled under the warm summer sun. Large white tents dotted the back lawn of the Sheppard property. Under one massive tent, a dance floor waited for participants to be lured in by the music that filled the air. Four tents provided shade for dining at large round, linen covered tables. And, amongst the dining tents, a buffet was spread under a tent of its own.

A bouncy castle and other activities for children occupied an area away from the adult tents. For the kids, a special tent, served ice cream and treats, along with chicken fingers and hotdogs. It had seemed odd for some, that a charity event where fancy dresses and suits were expected would also welcome the children of the attendees and have catering specific to the young party goers. But, for the Sheppards, it made perfect sense. Half of the funds they would collect were in support of the local Children's Hospital and the other half were destined for the University's research into childhood diseases.

The presence of the little ones didn't hurt when wallets were opened, and donations were made.

"Would you like a drink?" Bill asked as his head tilted towards a bar.

"Just a ginger ale."

Matilda became nervous as they approached the bar under a small white awning. While Bill attempted to place an order, the young man behind the counter gazed at her with his mouth agape. She fidgeted with the bracelet and did her best to avoid eye contact.

"A wheat ale and..." Bill looked at the man then back at Matilda.

"Matilda?" the young man behind the bar asked.

"Hi, Todd. This is my boyfriend, Bill."

"Wow! I wondered why you weren't working the party this year. Sorry, a wheat ale and..." Todd said as he shook Bill's hand.

"Ginger ale, please." Her face had taken on a pink blush. She was sure many of the catering staff would recognize her, so the encounter at the bar would not be the last of the awkward moments. She wasn't used to standing out and being noticed.

As they walked away from the bar, Bill asked, "I remember you said that Lou's brother was catering this. Were you supposed to work here?"

"Yeah, but then you begged me to go, and I didn't have the heart to say no." She smiled. "I worked at the party last year. It will be nice to experience it as a guest. Especially the buffet!"

"I haven't been to this event for a few years."

"I only worked it last year. Before then they had some other place catering. We should check out the buffet, soon. If you wait too long you might miss a few things. It sort of evolves throughout the day, somethings disappear, and new things take their place. If you're lucky there will be some Sloppy Joe sliders."

"Isn't that a bit messy for an event like this?" Bill asked as he pointed at Matilda's dress.

"They're actually just tiny patties with seasoning and a little bit of sauce. So, not so sloppy, Sloppy Joes."

"Lead on!"

As Bill and Matilda made their way towards the buffet tent, Alan Sheppard and his wife Linda, intercepted them.

"BILL! I'm so glad you could make it," Alan said with a vigorous handshake. "You remember my wife, Linda. And, Olivia, it's wonderful to see you again."

Linda glared at her husband and nudged his ribs with her elbow.

"Oh, ahhh, actually, this is my girlfriend, Matilda." Bill felt a tightening in his chest as he turned his gaze towards Matilda.