25

The crisp smell of coffee mixed with the aroma of freshly baked cinnamon buns guided Matilda through the house towards the kitchen. It was an odd experience. She hadn't made either herself, and her grandmother was still upstairs in the shower. Perhaps a considerate intruder had left breakfast ready after making off with the television.

"Hey, you might want to grab one of those and get some icing on it before your grandmother comes down and claims all of it," Sherry said as she pointed at the pan of golden-brown cinnamon buns. "It's a wonder she still has all her own teeth."

Matilda looked around to see if someone else was visiting. It was a rare occasion that Sherry would put more effort into breakfast than what was needed to light the end of a cigarette. She contemplated asking, "What's the occasion?" but decided to avoid that conversation.

"They smell great," Matilda said as she spread a modest serving of icing across the top of a bun.

"They're from a tube, so don't get too excited. Coffee?"

"Oh, yes," Matilda said as she moved towards the freshly brewed pot.

"Sit, I got this," Sherry replied.

Matilda sat herself at the kitchen table and pulled off a piece of the cinnamon bun while Sherry carried over two coffee cups. Odd experience indeed.

"So, when you told me about how his wife died, I remembered that accident and how they made a big deal about her in the news. I googled her."

"Mom—"

"She was really something... like..."

"Mom, I don't want to know. I am sure I'll find out about her over time but it... feels weird, it sounds creepy, like stalking her. And for what?"

"You gotta know what she was like. Did you know she was a teacher? Like elementary school."

"Yes, I know," Matilda said as she tore off another piece of her breakfast.

"They planted a freak'n tree in her name. You should see the pictures, all these sad little kids... A freak'n tree."

"I get it. She was special to them."

"I'm just saying... you gotta know about the competition," Sherry said before taking a sip of coffee.

"Mom! Please, don't... Olivia isn't competition. There isn't a contest."

"I'm just warning you. She did charity stuff, and all that kind of—"

Matilda dropped her head and tried to let chewing sounds drown out her mother's voice. It didn't work in the slightest. Then, a phone slid under her chin with a photo of Olivia brightly displayed on the screen.

"She was gorgeous. Have you seen how she looked?"

"Yes, I have. And her sister looks just like her."

"Oh, shit! But she's married or something, right? Otherwise, he might... you know... with the sister..."

"Mom, Bill isn't going to chase after Emily. They are friends. That's it."

"Emily? So, you know her?" Sherry asked through a mouth full of cinnamon bun.

Matilda tipped her head back and glared up at the ceiling. A sigh escaped her lips while Sherry continued to drone on about Olivia's beauty and accomplishments. None of it sank in until her closing argument had burrowed into her thoughts, "—and you're what? A diner waitress that barely finished high school."

*****

Matilda's eyes caressed the soft and silky fabrics of gowns and dresses on display in the shop. Lou's wife, Rosaline, squealed as she scurried to meet her.