Chapter 5

Title: I know you're tired, so why don't you rest for now?

-

Forgive me.

I pulled my tooth out and kissed it into your eyes.

Forgive me.

I said I couldn't see you when really I went to your house and walked for three hours to get back home all so I didn't have to see you, forgive me.

I thought if I shattered you'd be willing to pick up my pieces, and I was right, but when you tried to cut my edges, cut your hands, forgive me. I still haven't put all my pieces back together, forgive me.

Forgive me.

...I will never forgive myself.

-

"Are you okay?" M/n looked at Speedwagon, taking a second to actually accept the fact that the blond was speaking to him. Honestly, he seemed far more likely to ignore him in favor of speaking with Jonathan, not that he could really blame him for that. It wasn't as if M/n had made a good first impression.

"Yeah, I'm ‌frustrated with this entire trip." Looking over Speedwagon's shoulder, he saw Zeppeli was speaking to Jonathan. Makes sense. If they weren't talking, he imagined this conversation wouldn't even be taking place. "Is there something you need?"

"Um...no. I just wanted to see if you were okay."

"You don't have to pretend to like me, you know that, right?" Noting the sudden look of shock on the blond's face, he gave Speedwagon a smile. "Hey, it's okay. I know I'm not exactly an amiable person to get along with, and I don't hold it against you. If you only want to speak to Jonathan or Zeppeli, then go for it."

"I just assumed that you wouldn't want to speak with someone from the slums."

"I'm from the slums, even if I was raised with Jonathan."

"And Dio." There was a question there, and the god looked over at him with a raised eyebrow. That seemed to be enough for Speedwagon to clear his throat and look towards him. "What was he like...?"

"When we were growing up?" Speedwagon nodded, earning a sigh from M/n, who looked back at the ruined carriage. "Dio hasn't changed, if you ask me. I mean, clearly he's gotten more extreme, but he's still the same snake, no matter how many skins he's shed. Then again, no snake ever changes. Not that there's no good in Dio, any traits of a person can be used for good or bad, given the circumstance. He was charismatic, intelligent, driven, and never slowed or stopped for anyone. Dio was like a growing tar pit, but with the added benefit of being so clever that you wouldn't be able to notice your own lungs filling up...and then you drowned in his venom. He hated Jonathan the moment he arrived, and I never could tell if he cared about me or hated me. I would look around occasionally and almost pick up a scheme of his and never note the thousands of others tangled to the one I held. In the end, I loved and hated him in the same breath. I think Jonathan did the same."

"Do you think we can beat a man like that?" The god snickered at the horror in Speedwagon's voice and nudged him with his shoulder. Saying that made his last conversation feel less heavy, almost like a confessional booth.

"Do you not remember what I said in the manor? Even gods can be killed. Dio bleeds, even if he can regenerate, and that ‌means he can be killed. It may be difficult, but it can be done. Might just leave us with more scars than we started with." He tugged the makeshift choker down so Speedwagon could see the scar that ran along his throat.

"What gave you such a scar? No offense, but that isn't the scar expected of someone who grew in luxury."

"This isn't even my worst one. I got them before I was taken into House Joestar, and really they resulted from me being a coward. I imagine the one across your face is a different matter." The male's face gained a hint of red at that, and M/n watched Speedwagon wave his hands, apologizing. "Hey, hey, there's no need for that! I'm sorry. Did I say something wrong? Seriously Speedwagon I didn't-"