Chapter 14

(TheDemonicJackalPack is the name of my deviantart account, since a few people have asked if there's anywhere other than here where I post my art, just be warned there are a few spoilers for this fanfic, even if they lack context, alongside my old cringy art since I think I've had that account since I was like 15 or 16. Take a drawing I did of Kars from a...few months ago? The song used in this chapter is Kirby-Zero Two-With lyrics by Man On The Internet.)

Title: You can call me a safe bet, but I'm betting that I'm not.

-

Growing up, I remember telling myself that when surviving, my top priority should only be food and water because that's the only thing that your body 'literally' needs to keep on moving. If you have that, you can keep going.

Even if your mind struggles.

Just food and water.

Food and water.

Food and water.

Just food and water.

-

Gabriel rocks back and forth, hands tangling into chestnut locks, and his breath is shaky. Left hidden in a far corner of himself, out of reach of everyone but god, and he hears nothing. He sees nothing through the tears. The very idea of being seen like this makes him feel almost ill, and now he wants nothing more than to pull himself down. His mouth opens, his fingers clutch and tear at his skin, and a scream escapes his lips, filling his own essence.

"Is this truly the behavior of an angel?" A voice echoes, low and humming, and the angel's wings flare in rage. He turns his head, black tears making it almost impossible to see, yet he glares at the muted tan of bone. A look that he would love if not for the fact that this isn't god, rather a shadow, and Gabriel finds it sickening.

"How did you get here?"

"What is available for my reality is, in turn, available for me as well." The voice is so different from the god, lacking the slight hiss and pressure, instead it's deeper and less human. On some level, Gabriel knows that his voice has a similar issue, but that shadow should know better. "We need to talk."

"Talk? You think I have anything to say to you?" The angel asks, hoping that maybe the shadow will back off and leave. For now, the angel is nothing but furious. "You're the antithesis to everything I hope to be."

"How so? We both have the same goal."

"No, we don't." The massive skull tilts, bobbing up and down at the motion, and the braids click. Finally, the shadow gives a low huff.

"What's that? What is it? Oh my, what is it!" The shadow is soft and mocking, waving sharp black talons at him, and the angel growls from the back of his throat. The sensation unique and leaves him shaking. Black tar-like tears continue to run, and his wings twitch back and forth. "Look at him. Look at the angel. Look at him. Pretending. What do you think you are, angel? A creature of love? A messenger? Even the name you chose is a part of that illusion. Gabríel. The firstborn. The prodigal son. Yet all you think about is the concept of love, something that you don't even understand, and you claim that we're nothing alike?"

"What are you implying, shadow?"

"That you can't deny we have the same goal. We both want what's best for my reality, M/-"

"Don't say his name!" Gabriel snarls, wings fully opening, and he rises to his full height. Six foot three versus his eight foot seven makes the shadow look frail. His height in the realm before had been lesser, and he knows he could be taller, but all he wants is control. "You have no right! Are you going to pretend that you care about him now?!?"