Chapter Four

Flavius

Darkness clouds my vision as we walk further into the cave. My foot catches on a piece of jagged stone protruding from the cavern floor, and I stumble forward. Ellie grabs me by the hand, pulling me up straight again, and we continue on our path.

A dim glow begins to invade the dark cave. I quickly shield my eyes from the unexpected light.

"It has been a while, Eleonora," a soft angelic voice calls out.

I remove my hand from my eyes to look up at the holder of the voice. Standing before me is a tall, slender woman with hair ablaze like a raging fire. Her skin is like soft moonlight aglow from the torch flame. Her long hair cascades around her body like a robe. I look up, meeting her gaze. Her stunning black eyes sparkle like the night sky, the torchlight twinkling like stars within them. Her facial features are sharp and slender, reminding me very much of Ellie.

"Grandmother," Ellie greets.

I look down at Ellie with a questioning gaze. Did she just say, grandmother?

The woman drops the torch in her hands and approaches Ellie, pulling her into an embrace.

"It has been far too long. You have grown to be so beautiful," she gushes.

     Ellie's face softens as she hugs the woman back. Her grandmother pulls away, turning to face me with a hard gaze.

     "Is picking up stray humans a new hobby of yours?" She questions with a raised brow.

     Ellie pulls me into her side, a coy smile playing upon her lips.

     "This is my mate Flavius, I ask that you show him some respect," Ellie demands.

     "I never thought I would see the day where you were conquered by a human," she chuckles approaching us once more.

     Ellie rolls her eyes stepping off to the side.

     "It is a pleasure to meet you young Flavius, I am Vesla," she greets.

     "The pleasure's all mine," I reply.

     Vesla gives me a light smile before moving to stand closer to Ellie.

I take a step back, my heart leaping as a sudden pounding echoes through the cave. Vesla turns around and stares off in the distance with a fond smile.

"Lochness what took you so long?" Vesla calls out.

"That is my grandfather," Ellie whispers in my ear.

I continue staring down the dark cave trying to make out the person approaching. The sound of heaving footsteps draws nearer. But when I lock eyes with Ellie's grandfather, I let out a shiver. His cold violet eyes stare back at me with a deep intensity. He slinks forward in his large dragon form.

He is unlike any dragon I've seen before, in the dark of the cave I can only make out his head. But that is enough for me to tell that in this form even Ellie could be considered small next to him. Long razor-sharp teeth protrude from his mouth, and large horns sprout from the tip of his nose and his head.

     I stare into his eyes, my breath suddenly caught in my throat. My chest caves in with a heavy pressure as I find myself fighting for air. My legs collapse under me and I fall to the ground gasping for air.

     I look up to meet those same intense violet eyes. Sweat begins to bead down my body as I start to tremble.

      Sparks run through my me as  Ellie caresses my shoulder. She steps out in front of me facing her grandfather.