Chapter Thirteen

Golden light illuminates the green shrubs sprouting from the forest floor. Mushrooms grow under the shady roof of the willow trees. The wispy moss hanging from the trees sways from a light breeze. I was in awe of the size and majesty of the trees. Their twisted arms rose ever upwards providing a home for the orchestra of birds around us.

The sprite flutters in front of us as a guide through the woods. A glowing light emanates from her. As we continue through the forest the path seems to widen. Soon we reach a large canopy of ivy leading to an open threshold.

The threshold is made from twisting trees. Willow and ashen oak trees have grown woven together forming a large castle. Tending to the fern and flora sprouting from the woodland castle is hundreds of sprite. They flit around offering the greenery boundless magic to grow. We walk under the awning of ivy leading to the castle entrance. The once earthy path is now many tree branches interlaced with a vibrant layer of moss over top.

With the sprite still leading the way we enter the oak palace. The room we arrive in is spaciously filled with large shrubs forming couches and tables. Many female Fae lounge on the shrubs laughing and conversing amongst themselves. Their tan skin gleams in the sunlight peaking in through the trees. Transparent white silks are draped over their bodies barely hiding their figures. Amongst the group of females sits one male.

He is tall with a lean figure and dark olive skin. His deep brown eyes capture mine as I stare him down. A smirk curls at the edge of his lips as he looks upon me. The male Fae stands never breaking eye contact. Running a hand through his cropped brown hair a smile spreads across his face.

"I never imagined anyone else would be joining the party," he speaks. His thick smooth accent is pleasant on the ears. Flavius who stands next to me scratches his head in confusion. He turns to me leaning down.

"What did he say?" Flavius asks.

"He thinks we are here for a party," I answer.

"A party?" He repeats. I shrug turning my attention back to the male Fae.

"We are not here for a party, we simply have a meeting with the queen," I respond in Faen.

The male approaches me leaning close he whispers in my ear.

"Beautiful dragon you speak my language with such grace. Would you care to join me while you wait?" He asks while ignoring my previous words.

I grimace leaning away from the male a frown spreading across my lips. Suddenly the male is yanked away from me. His widen as he lets out a surprised yelp.

"Hathor, do I need to remind you what personal space is?" A demanding female voice questions. The voice is like smooth silk, elegant and fierce.

Standing behind the male is a tall slender female. She carries an aura that demands respect though she moves with grace. Her dark waist-length curls hang loose around her. Her plump lips twist into a scowl as her brown eyes narrow at Hathor. She lets go of the males shoulder staring at him disapprovingly.

     Hathor sighs while trying to control his growing grin. He steps away from the female shaking his head.

     "Mother, must you ruin all my fun?" He pouts.

     My eyes widen in surprise and I glance over at Flavius who shares my shock.

     She looks far to young to be the mother of someone that old.

     "Who told you to have fun with my guests?" She asks firmly.

     Before Hathor has a chance to respond the female turns to me. Her face softens and she moves a section of her hair behind her while smiling.

     "I apologize for my sons' uncouth behavior. I am Nefertari the one who invited you here," she says.

     My heart drums rapidly in my chest. The female who stood before me is one of the most respected monarchs in Midgar. Nefertari, the Blood Queen of Fae, or so she was called. Her reign started with the mass killing of the corrupt Fae council.

Stepping forward I place a fist over my heart bowing.

"It is an honor to be in your presence Queen Nefertari, I am Chieftain Eleonora of the Perilous Horde. I have brought with me today my mate Flavius, the twin chieftains of the Horde of Fates, and two of my hordes warriors, Soren and Dovydas," I introduce.

     Nefertari smiles, stepping around Hathor she glances over us. Swiping her deep amber hair over her shoulder she motions for us to follow her. I step forward following her up a grand tree branch staircase. Plush moss buds from the branches provide a cushion under foot.

     As we ascend the stairs further into the castle I am once again drawn in by the beauty. Following the staircase up is like walking through a dream. Honeyed light illuminates the spiraling path, small birds and insects fill the air with a lively hum.

When we reach the top Nefertari pushes a large wooden door open. We follow her into a grand throne room. A large throne made of tree branches sits shaded under a canopy of lush green leaves. Flora of every color blooms between the branches of the throne. The roots and vines of the flowers provide a green hue under the bark. Sitting in front of the throne is a spacious table made from a stump. At the center of the table is a hole brimming with translucent water.

The pure water is so clear it reflects light in the room like a mirror. Plump purple mushrooms stem around the table forming chairs. Nefertari gracefully wades through the room settling on her throne. Sitting back in her seat she motions.

"Please take a seat we have much to discuss," she instructs.

     Once we all take our seats a thick silence consumes the room. Nefertari has a thoughtful look on her face.

     "So Chieftain Eleonora what has brought you here?" Nefertari suddenly asks.