Chapter Twelve

After several days of constant travel, the Fae Forest comes into view. Swooping down I land at the forest entrance the others close behind me. I slip on a loose pair of leather trousers and a white tunic. My feet sink into the damp earth below and I relish in the cool feeling.

     The path at my feet fades into the distance as it leads into the dark forest. A chill blows in from the forest and I shiver. Large willow trees line the dark path of the woods their branches hanging low as if ready to kiss the ground. The silence emanating from the woods leaves me wondering. It is so quiet not even the bird's crow and not even the wind whispers against the trees.

     I turn to face the twins. "Are you sure this is the right place?" I ask.

     Nathalia nods, "This is merely the entrance. What you are seeing is not the real forest but a glamor. The Fae protect the forest using powerful magic so you cannot see the true forest unless they allow you to."

     "What're we supposed to do then? Wait here all day or wander aimlessly around the woods?" Flavius questions coming up behind me.

     "We enter the forest and hope the Fae queen with grant us an audience," Alec says.

"Your plan is to just hope the Fae queen will see us?" Flavius arches a brow at Alec.

     "That is a pretty bad plan," I comment.

     "The Fae see all that is in and around the forest. They will know that we are here. All we can do is wait," Nathalia says.

     Dovydas approaches us with a concerned face. "The forest is said to constantly change. The Fae trick those foolish enough to enter. We could end up lost with no way out. The trees are far too dense for us to just simply faze and fly away," he points out.

     I let out a long sigh running a hand through my hair. I turn resting my head on Flavius who stands next to me.

     "What are we to do?" I question aloud.

     Flavius hangs his arm around my shoulders turning to plant a kiss on my forehead.

     "We'll figure it out," he assures me.

     I let out a choked laugh. A heavy silence hangs between us as we think of our next move.

     The future I am fighting, for now, feels like it is on the other side of a broken rope bridge. It sways leaving me with no control causing my every step to weaken the already cracked walkway. A sea of violent storms rests under the bridge as a reminder. One wrong move and everything falls. But when the wind rattles me from every side and thick murky fog rests in my sight what am I supposed to do?

     Moving forward is the only option but as the path ahead crumbles can I keep going? My heart weighs into my chest like a boulder trying to steal my breath. Will this end up like the capital? Will those I have called upon die for my sake once more? Tremors of fear rack through my body as my throat begins to close up. I squeeze my eyes shut willing myself to calm down.

     Flavius's hand soothingly rubs my arm. I lean into his chest breathing in his familiar scent.

     "It'll be okay we'll figure this out," he whispers to me.

"If the Fae queen refuses to see us that would ruin everything," I mumble.

Alec releases a choked laugh. Running a hand through her cropped hair she folds her arms over her chest. Her emerald eyes stare deep into mine.

"You are clearly not an experienced warrior," she snorts.

I grit my teeth at the brash comment. Flavius tightens his grip on me. Glaring at Alec he tries to speak but I hold up a hand stopping him.

"I have fought in many battles," I state.

"And it is quite clear all those battles were against humans. You see even a glimpse of defeat and suddenly you want to give up? I have won many wars where the odds were not in my favor. Do you think I won by giving in to despair? You had so many who did not believe in you yet you proved them wrong. You now stand at the top. Did you get there by giving in or did you fight? Even if the Fae refuse us we will fight and we will win," Alec urges.

I crack a smile at her words.

"You are correct I got to where I am by fighting and I will continue to do so," I grin.

Looking into the dreary forest entrance I try to think of a way to contact the Fae. There must be a way to reach them? The others begin looking around the entrance. I pull away from Flavius running a hand through my hair.

As I begin to look around with the others I hear the faint sound of laughter.

"Did anyone hear that?" I ask.

"Hear what," Nathalia questions.

"I thought I heard laughter," I say.

"Well I heard nothing," Alec brushes off.

Moments of silence go by before I hear the laughter once more. It is the angelic sound of a child at play. I move my head around trying to place the noise. When I hear the laugh again it is right next to my ear. Seconds after the sound I feel a pinch on my ear lobe. I swat at my ear trying to brush away the source of the bite.

Flavius glances at me with a questioning look.

"Something just bit me," I say.

Before anyone can respond loud laughter fills the air.

"Well I heard laughing that time," Alec says alarmed.

Near the opening of the forest, a small glowing creature flies about. Boisterous laughter echoes from the creature as it zips to and fro. The small bug-like creature appears to be taunting us flying in and out of the forest.

"That creature appears to be a sprite," Nathalia says.

"Sprites usually never leave the side of the world tree. I wonder what this one is doing here?" I inquire.

Dovydas grins heading towards the sprite.

"Is it not clear she wants us to follow her," he points out.

"Looks like we've got our audience," Flavius chuckles.

"It would appear so," I smile.

"What did I tell you waiting was our best option," Alec brags.

     I roll my eyes heading after the sprite. Flavius catches up to me falling into pace next to me. The sprite dances around the forest entrance a sparkly glow surrounding her. I take a final look at the others before entering the forest.

     My first step through the willow trees causes a strange feeling to stir in me. The air suddenly changes becoming thick and humid. The fresh earthen smell that hits me is pleasant. The place that once looked dark and dreary is now alight. Golden streams of sunlight peer in through the gaps in the treetops. The soil beneath my feet hums with strong magic.

     "It is as if the forest is made of pure magic," I breathe out.

     "Because it is," Nathalia says from behind me.

     "The forest started with the world tree. As the world trees seeds spread the forest grew. The sprites being the first Fae children of the world tree would sing to the roots to help the tree and forest grow. The forest was grown from magic. The Fae forest has the highest density of magic in all of Midgar," Nathalia explains.

"That is truly incredible," I smile.

We all enter the forest preparing to meet the Fae queen.