Chapter Nine

I tighten the straps on Vega's saddle checking one last time to make sure everything is securely tied on. Patting Vega with a satisfied smile I turn toward Flavius.

     "We are ready to set out," I tell him.

     He nods climbing onto Vega's back, "Alright let's move out."

     I watch as all the dragons of the Horde of Fates descend the mountain into the frosty sky. They fly through the ever developing canvas of dawn, as if their wings were fine quills, drawing buoyant hues. Filling the sky with the majesty of their brilliance.

Glancing over at Flavius I see him also leave the mountain. Fazing I follow the others. As we burst through the barrier around the mountain frigid air nips at my scales while snow blurs my vision.

     "I am honestly surprised you three made it through the barrier since the cold season is approaching," Alec's voice rings through my head.

     "It was hard at times but we pulled through," I reply.

     "Well I do hope you are ready because I would like to make it to your horde lands within two days time," Alec says.

"I understand," I say.

     Thick dark clouds hang low in the sky as if they long to kiss the land. The earth piled high with winter's white crystals covers the evergreen forest in a white glow. I find myself somewhat sad to leave such a view behind in the coming days. Though I will miss this sight I do not feel the same about the cold.

     We fly like a flock of birds using each other to glide through the frostbitten wind. Traveling until long into the night.

***

After flying for two days with almost no stops we finally make it to the Perilous Mountain. I lead the group through the north entrance and into the mountain caverns. Landing with a thud I faze into human form. The dragons of the Horde of Fates follow my lead. Looking out the entrance I see Flavius coming in last. Vega lands roughly skidding across the smooth stone. As he un-mounts her Flavius approaches me on shaky legs.

     "I'd thought the journey to the Horde of Fates was difficult but it had nothing on the journey back. Alec's nothin short of a slave driver," Flavius muses, shuttering as he runs his hands down the arms of his fur coat.

     Bellowing laughter suddenly fills the room, "Well I got us here quite swiftly did I not," Alec shouts with a crooked smile.

     "Welcome home Chieftain," Norveig greets upon entering the room.

     "It is good to be back," I say.

     "I hate to hurry you since you have only just arrived but I am afraid there are some important matters you must attend to," Norveig informs me.

     "I was gone for such a short time and things are already heating up," I sigh.

     Stretching out my arms and legs I call Nathalia and Alec over.

     "It would seem that I do not get the honor of showing you around the mountain as there are matters I must attend to but I will leave you in the care of Soren," I tell them.

     With that said I grab Flavius's hand following behind Norveig.

    "So what does the situation look like?" I ask.

     "During your absence, we were visited by the king of Samirya," Norveig says.

     I freeze at her words. Neron came here? Glancing over at Flavius I see a look of surprise wash over his face.