Strange New World CH.7 Routine

(3RD POV)

Kilometers and hours passed. What was supposed to be a maximum of 3 hours' journey took 4 hours and Jack and his metal companion covered eighty percent of the route, which had to be constantly changed.

This was due to the fact that POD217 had some type of transmitter or radar mounted, which detected machines at close range and, if there were too many of them, led other routes.Jack was determined to travel for several hours in the scorching sun, but even his determination could not make his fatigue disappear, which manifested itself more and more. To the extent that he almost drove into one of the destroyed machines without noticing it at all, and if it were not for the POD, he would have sapodified an accident and, consequently, he could break something in the worst case, even despite the low speed with which he was moving.

A short distance from the alleged "camp" to which they were heading was a mound with several dilapidated houses built there. Surprisingly, the building with a wooden roof turned out to be the least damaged, instead of the traditional roof tiles.

The building itself was made entirely of wood and was more like a large workshop that could fit two Citroen Jumper vans one after the other for the length of the building and two parked side by side for the length. The door was made of sheet metal that had long since rusted, so it was hard to open. Fortunately, thanks to the help of POD, who grasped the left side of the door with his arms, Jacek and I managed to open it.

The interior of the workshop resembled ... well, an abandoned workshop where something was being repaired. Probably a mechanic was here, judging by a channel cut in the middle of the floor, but there was no wreckage inside. It was also relatively dark due to the lack of windows and chilly, but for Jack and his overheated motorbike it was a real salvation from the heat and sun.

Naturally "his" POD asked Jack to scan for enemy machines to confirm that this place was safe. Jack agreed, suspecting that a discussion with such a robot would be quite lengthy and exhausting. After a short while, when POD performed the appropriate operations and the scan, he announced that the place was "temporarily safe".

Now that Jack had leaned his motorcycle against the nearest wall and cleaned up the place where he intended to sleep, which had recently been a mess with rubble, stones and, oddly enough, dirt and grass, was now a cleaned-up piece of flooring in the corner of the building where Jack had placed a makeshift pillow made of straw and dried grass wrapped with a single string that makes sure that the pillow does not fall apart, and a piece of cloth that is placed at the top of the "pillow" that acts as a shock absorber.

Now Jack observes the nearest "resistance camp" outside with his binoculars, because fortunately for him there was a decent view of the camp in the place where it was located.

(Jack Pov)

I have been standing here for at least 30 minutes looking at all peop ... no, at androids, watching their daily activities. If POD wouldn't say that these people . .. things I would say this is an ordinary camp. And it looks so, but the very thought that it is not humans or even machines that run it, but androids that look like real people. It is true that I do not have such a close-up on my binoculars to see the details of their faces and check if they have some kind of "LED" that would distinguish them, but still it's still amazing.