five. tooru

FIVE. TOORU

━━━━┅━━━┅━━━━

━━━━┅━━━┅━━━━

"service ace!" one of many fangirls flocked at the second floor of the gym squealed when oikawa landed his third service ace in a row during the practice game of aoba johsai versus a college in the area.

a very ticked off wing-spiker named iwaizumi hajime glared at the team's captain. "tell your fangirls to tone it down a notch. they're getting irritating."

oikawa glanced upwards, glancing at his dedicated fangirls. in a kind voice, he said, "can you guys please quiet down? we need to focus on the game."

iwaizumi rolled his eyes at the scene and proceeded to go into position.

"make it count, trashykawa."

as you can see, our other protagonist has been.. well, just taking iwaizumi's insults like a good boy. usually, he'd whine or at least pathetically fight back- but today was different.

he was distracted, and his mind couldn't even bother thinking of anything else but his conversation with milkbread-chan this morning. yes, he gave her a nickname. he figured it wouldn't be fair to the girl- she told him she was a girl over one of her text messages- if he kept calling her lunchlady or unknown stalker. since she'd always bring up the fact that she wanted to be oikawa's milkbread every chance she got, he figured he'd call her milkbread-chan.

it's officially been two weeks since oikawa received the message from her- and then indulged to talking to her as well. after a stressful day, she was like his.. rest. he finds solace in her presence. he likes talking to her, and would like for it to continue for a long time.

-

the practice match with the college team was soon over, with his team winning by a landslide. after they all shook hands, he made his way to the bench and grabbed his water bottle and started downing it. he sighed, wiping his lips off as his mind crowded, remembering the messages he and milkbread-chan exchanged this morning.

milkbread-chan
hey tooru

oikawa
ohayo
milkbread-chan! 🍞
no pick-up line
today?

milkbread-chan
sadly, no

you have practice
today, right?

oikawa
yup!
afternoon practice

milkbread-chan
do your best,
train hard, okay?

oikawa
i will 😘

but hey

is everything okay?
you seem down

milkbread-chan
everything's a-ok 👌🏻

oikawa
if it's not, you'll
tell me, right?

milkbread-chan
sure

i have to go, tooru
good luck again.

oikawa
thanks and have
a great day
milkbread-chan! 🍞

he didn't receive another text message from her. usually she'd be chatting him up with cheesy pick-up lines every single hour, but today seemed different. she seemed down, and oikawa was bothered by it. he wasn't used to the girl being so dull and sad. he was so used to her being happy and cheery with her texts that this kind of dry messaging was out of the ordinary from milkbread-chan.

he wondered if something was wrong. maybe she had problems.

agh, why was he even bothered?

perhaps it was because she'd been the kindest person who had genuine intentions with him.

perhaps it was because she cheered him up when he lost to ushiwaka yet again.

or perhaps it was because he considered her a friend.

right, a friend.

"shittykawa, you coming?" iwaizumi called out to the captain.

without another word, oikawa stood up and then followed after his ace as they left practice that day.

-

"don't stay up late thinking about things you can't control, crappykawa." iwaizumi's voice cut through the silence that enveloped them as they waited at the bus stop.

oikawa looked at him with furrowed brows, "how did you-"

"you've been distracted the whole day. i thought it was about volleyball, but when you landed seven service aces in a row, i knew that wasn't it." his childhood friend chided.

"whatever's bothering you- i won't ask. but don't stay up late thinking about it. we have practice tomorrow and we need our captain in good shape."

oikawa's eyes glistened with happy tears as he watched his childhood friend actually give a fuck about him.

"iwa-chan!" he cried out childishly, with his hands outstretched.

iwaizumi scowled, a tick mark appearing on his forehead. "shut up bakawa!"

he slapped the back of oikawa's head, which made the setter cry out in pain.

"so mean, iwa-chan!"

jokes aside, iwaizumi did care about his friend's well-being. his friendship with oikawa was something he valued.

━━━━┅━━━┅━━━━