Chapter Two

I had been laying on this long, wide bed with a light blue and yellow floral duvet

I had been laying on this long, wide bed with a light blue and yellow floral duvet. My breath came out in puffs as sweat rolled down my forehead. A few minutes ago I had just tried to jump out the window. For about an hour or more I had been trying to escape this large bedroom the guards threw me in. I haven't seen the lady known as Garland but I've met Joaquin, he's the one who stopped me from my recent attempt of escape that seemed suicide. I was going to jump, land on my knees, and roll.

With the two large windows in this room, I was sure I could throw the gigantic mattress out and fall on it. It just may take some time with my smaller body and nonexistent muscles.

I heard a door swing open, slamming into the wall. I rolled over to look in the direction of the noise to see none other than Garland, the same Garland I had met earlier after almost being stepped on by a horse. Her dark olive eyes pierced down at me, and she marched over fisting her gray-coin colored dress.

"You've been causing all types of trouble here and for the townspeople. You wouldn't even be here if you weren't the princess-"

"Princess? HA-" I began to hack up a lung instead of laughing.

"For heaven's sake child, are you sick?!" She took some large steps back.

I grunted when I was finally able to stop coughing. I looked at her for a moment, causing her to quirk an eyebrow at me. I jumped off the bed and launched for the door she came in from.

"GUARDS!" she shrieked before stomping after me.

I heard her loud clacking from her shoes, but I tried to focus on other people's sounds coming my way to dodge them.

These people were insane, I just wanted to go back to my aunt and cousins. Maybe even back to fall for school. Anywhere but here.

Finally, I got to an area that didn't just have one way. I listened for a little while before taking my chance by running in the quietest direction. My movements were brisk until I saw a blurred painting from the corner of my eye. My feet stopped on their own, from the sense of familiarity. Hung high on the beige walls was a lady in a bright ochre dress dancing alone, hickory-brown hair tied up halfway with messy waves. That lady looked a lot like-

"Alright kid,"

My eyes left the painting and looked in the direction of the voice. The way I was heading to before was now filled with guards. Glancing over to the direction I came from it was also filled with guards and Garland was in the mass.

"You can stop running, we know you," one of the guards said, stepping out from the other mass. They were the one who took my attention off the painting earlier. Unlike the rest of the guards, their headwear had a gunmetal-gray circle with a cursive "C" entwined with plants on it.

"Well, I don't know you. I just want to get a phone so I can call home!" I glanced around with a small frown.

The guard's hands went to their headwear but stopped. "This is your home Dillian."