Chapter Three

A butler hurriedly led me down so many halls I started leaning against the walls

A butler hurriedly led me down so many halls I started leaning against the walls. Eventually, I heard chatter, which could only mean that we were finally where I needed to be. 

"This way, quick now." The butler ushered for me to go in front of them. 

I stepped down the pearl white staircase, lined with sharp silver. Marigolds wrapped around the railings, a single brush of a hand could make some petals fall, so I tried to keep my hands gripped onto my short dress. I took cautious steps with my back straighter than the rose gold poles around the place. 

My eyes flew all over the place, almost causing me to trip in these damn heels. I wasn't used to this strangely unbalanced height, being on stairs didn't help. Thankfully nobody's attention was on me-

"Dillian, it's almost eight-ten!" Garland marched my way as I stepped off the last step. 

"Well...I took a nap after all that food. Also, I think my clock is wrong." 

Her face grew darker with every word that came out of my face. I think I could see steam leaving her ears. Eventually, Joaquin popped near her side. I would assume Joaquin was her age if it wasn't for the bits of gray hair in his pushed back black locks.

"It’s okay Garland, the party never truly starts until our princess is here.” He gave her a worried smile then glanced in my direction. “Go mingle, we’ll make announcements and introduce you properly in a little bit.” He shoved me out near the masses of people.

I turned back to look in their direction but a new set of people were now blocking my view. If it weren’t dressed up people I saw it was a guard. Every turn I made caused my head to spin. The lights from the chandeliers shined down on me and almost everything, making me squint. All the colors of people’s outfits caused my eyes to burn. My whole body was a mess with all that was going on, which the scents of everyone just aided the nauseated feeling bubbling inside me. There was perfume, smoke, and who knows what else filling the air. 

My legs began to wobble so I decided to keep walking but that just further ruined any balance I tried to have in heels. I stumbled into a group of women- well I assumed they were women in dresses, but I was in a dress myself. 

"Well aren't you a cute little thing," one of them behind a lilac feather fan said. The fan matched the long loose dress that went a bit over her ivory knees. 

The other ladies with her circled around me with smiling eyes, but the smiles they made with their mouths were wicked. I did a little bow with a shaky smile before stepping away cautiously but quickly and ended up running back into some men. Some smirked my way and gave me similar looks the women gave. I turned away and started off in another direction, but it seemed everyone that stared at me was giving me some type of twisted look.

I felt like I was on fire. My armpits were probably a sweaty mess, ruining the dress. Instantly I took some steps back as I felt more closed in. I took a wrong step that had me falling back-