[10] Heraclides Aristodemus Ponceanus

Like dewdrops
on a lotus leaf
I vanish.
-Senryu

🦋 💀 🦋

[December 8, 2019]

Himari walked around the paths of the conservatory giving a tour to a family who was visiting the Miyagi Prefecture from Hokkaido for the upcoming holidays. The children were wide-eyed when they felt the warm air and saw all of the plants, trees, and insects, but were also taken aback by the holiday decor instead of the atrium. Himari and her coworker had spent most of Sunday when the Museum was closed wrapping natural pine garland around the fences, decorating some of the tree with lights and ornaments that wouldn't harm the butterflies or other insects.

While they did that, the other staff and curators were decorating their exhibits, the art galleries putting up some holiday paintings, and placing Santa pats and other accessories onto some of the statues. When she finished up with the conservatory, Himari helped out Tsukishima with the fossil exhibits, wanting to show him he was still her friend despite what happened and that she had no hard feelings.

The museum switched from holiday classics played on the piano and other instruments instead of the traditional music that played, giving the entire museum a festive feel with Christmas just a few weeks ahead. While the family paused at the lake to take pictures and admire the butterflies, Himari started looking at her calendar on her tablet. It was currently 7:30 pm, this tour ending at 8:00pm, which would give her half an hour to finish what she had to in the lab before Matsukawa arrived. A wide smile appeared on her lips when she thought of him, holding her tablet close to her chest while she recalled the past few days.

When they woke up the morning after their sleepover they made breakfast with one another, Matsukawa teaching Himari how to cook omurice, miso soup, and pancakes. She had trouble flipping the pancakes correctly but he helped, standing beside her and placing his hand around hers that held onto the spatula, showing her what to do. Himari felt her heart racing from how close he was, blushing lightly when she recalled the events of the previous night.

After eating breakfast and cleaning the kitchen they got dressed for the day, hanging around her apartment since it was too chilly to leave and Himari truthfully was afraid to run into Tsukishima with Matsukawa around and didn't want him to tell Kenjiro. The more she and Matsukawa talked, the closer they got to one another. She loved his sense of humor and how he always made her laugh, how he had a laid-back vibe to him and genuinely listened when she spoke and retained information that she shared.

Himari learned more about his times in high school, how he had three best friends he has been close to since his freshman year. She couldn't wait to meet them one day, Hanamaki sounding like he was a funny guy, Iwaizumi sounding really cool, and Oikawa sounding like he was a different person than the flirt he was in high school. Himari told him about some of her times at Shiratorizawa, how in her first year year Tendou Satori, who was a third year, helped her sneak a terrarium into her dorm and set it up under her bed to house a millipede that she had found inside.

Kenjiro had heard from others that Tendou kept sneaking into her room and grew enraged, bursting into her room and prepared to lecture Tendou for flirting with his sister, but found the two sitting on the floor with a millipede running around between their legs. Matsukawa laughed listening to her stories, teasing it seemed just like her to sneak bugs in her dorm while others were probably sneaking in alcohol.

Eventually Matsukawa had to leave, telling Himari he was needed at the morgue, when really Kimura was calling and messaging nonstop. He packed his belongings and went to leave, but when he turned around to say goodbye at the door, Himari was looking up at him with the eyes he couldn't resist, asking if she could have a kiss before he left. Matsukawa obliged, leaning down with a hand resting on his shoulder, pressing his lips against hers, groaning to himself when he felt how eager she was. He pulled away and kissed her cheek, telling her he'd talk to her soon before leaving her apartment.