[17] Agraulis Vanillae

It lights up
as lightly as it fades:
a firefly.
-Chine

🦋 💀 🦋

[January 31, 2020]

Matsukawa slipped his disposable gloves off and tossed them into the secure waste bin before sitting down on a metal chair and lifting his gas mask off so it rested on his head. He leaned back in his seat and looked at the cremation machine, the smoke omitting from it being filtered enough in the chamber that the mask wasn't required once he was behind the red line marked on the floor.

The family that Matsukawa was working with today was solemn but kind, the elderly man having passed away peacefully at the age of 86. His three daughters were heartbroken to lose their father, but thankful he lived a long and prosperous life. His wife, on the other hand, was suffering through dementia, not understanding why they were in the funeral home, not recognizing the man laying on the metal table before her.

In the daughters' positions, Matsukawa isn't sure if he would have brought the mother or not. One of them saw the inquisitive look on his face and spoke to Matsukawa while the other two daughters took their mother outside for a break. She explained to him that there were days she recalled more memories than some, and in the chance she asked of her husbands whereabouts, they wanted to be able to assure her that she was there at his passing and helped with the funeral and arrangements.

Having nearly two hours to himself while the cremation chamber did its job, Matsukawa closed his eyes and tried to focus on something else besides the waves of heat surrounding him in the room- a sharp contrast to the chilly air outside. The first thought his mind went to was of Himari, a smile gracing his lips when he imagined her happy expression in his head.

After spending New Year's Eve together, Matsukawa brought Himari back to Kenjiro early in the morning, wanting to prove to her older brother that he could trust him. Himari was still sleepy from having stayed up so late the night before, and from the morning sex her and Matsukawa had. He was careful to not leave any marks on her that Kenjiro would be able to see, but when he woke up and felt her naked body pressed against his, her soft lips kissing at his shoulder, he couldn't resist giving her the pleasure they both desired.

When they arrived at the floor of the hotel that Kenjiro was staying on, Matsukawa stepped off the elevator with Himari clinging to him like a koala, her legs wrapped securely around his waist and her face nuzzled into his neck. He held her up securely, her bags placed onto one of his shoulders since he had to use one hand to knock on the door since Himari forgot her room card here last night. Matsukawa knocked on the door a few times, raising an eyebrow when there was no answer since Kenjiro told them to be here bright and early, not wanting Himari to be with him any longer than she had to.

After another minute of knocking the door flung open, Kenjiro standing in the doorway with an aggravated expression, his eyes squinting at the bright light coming from the windows in the hallways. Matsukawa stood in place and stared at him, not only because he was obviously hung over but because he was only wearing a pair of sweatpants and his collarbones and chest were littered with hickies.

Kenjiro seemed to have been expecting to tell the hotel staff the room didn't need cleaning right now, and wasn't prepared to greet his sister and her boyfriend. Matsukawa glanced down at Himari who was thankfully asleep, surprised that all of the knocking hadn't kept her awake. He looked back at Kenjiro who had a guilty expression on his face- Matsukawa trying to contain the rude remarks he wanted to make to him.

Instead, he whispered if he could bring Himari to her hotel room, explaining that her taking the medication in the middle of the night was thrown off from staying up so late so she was still tired. While this wasn't a lie, it helped to cover the fact she was also sleepy from the sex they had had 40 minutes prior to arriving. Kenjiro nodded quietly and stepped aside, his head hung low while Matsukawa passed him.