XIX

Once I'm showered and dressed in two-piece pajamas that may or may not have been stolen from Five, I go to knock on Klaus' bedroom door.

He calls out a weak, "Come in."

"Hey, Ben," I say into the room. "Hey, Klaus," I sit down on his bed where he lies curled up in the fetal position. "I can see you're doing pretty awful so I'm not even gonna ask," I try to lighten the mood. "Wanna talk about it?"

"What part, losing my soul or finding out my siblings actually give two shits about me?"

"Whatever makes you feel better," I shrug, crossing my legs.

Neither of us say anything for a whole minute, and the silence is comforting.

"I can't believe they actually all came together for me, I mean...wow," he laughs breathily, still facing the wall. "I was so sure they wouldn't even notice I was gone."

I stay quiet for a while because...well, what can I say? That's what would've happened had I not been here. They didn't notice he was gone until after Patch saved him - hell, even she thought she was looking for Five.

"Yeah, well, your family kind of sucks," I say honestly, eliciting an airy chuckle from him. "Trust me, I've seen a good chunk of your lives and you guys've been pretty shitty towards each other through most of it." I consider for a while. "But they did come together for you today and they do care about you - even grumpy little Five was happy to see you safe, I saw him," he turns to face me, still curled up into a ball. I continue, "You don't give yourself enough credit, Klaus. You literally have the potential to start a cult."

"Wait, did I actually?"

"1963," I say, smirking. "Called your followers Destiny's Children. All your little prophecies were pop song lyrics."

"Oh, that does sound a very me thing to do," he laughs. "Yeah," he sighs contently, looking over to the corner of the room.

"What'd he say?"

"That my cult would be weird and pervy."

"It was!" I exclaim, laughing.

"We all tried to keep you from the suitcase, too. To save you all of...the heartbreak, PTSD, et cetera, et cetera," I say after a while.

"Oh?" he says, frowning.

"Yeah. Sorry we couldn't."

"No, no, y/n. As much as it's ripping my heart out now, I wouldn't exchange those few months with Dave for anything," he sighs, like an old man thinking back to 'the good ol' days'.

"Really?" I say, confused. "All that pain you're going through...just for him? When he's not even here?"

"And I'd do it a million times over," he says softly, straightening out onto his back. "Anything for him. I think about him every second, those beautiful, dead eyes haunt me every damn time I close mine," he reaches his hand out above him. "But I would never, ever wish I didn't meet him."

"You really love him, huh?"

"More than you'd ever know," he whispers, almost to himself. " I'd do anything to get him back, too."

"Wow," I breathe, mesmerized like the hopeless romantic I am. "I know what you've been thinking," I say after a while. "And it'll work."

"What...have I been thinking about?" Klaus says guiltily, probably thinking I'm referring to something perverted.

"No, you moron, I was talking about getting sober. To see Dave."

"Really?" he says softly, and I see his eyes light up with hope.

"Yeah. I was hoping I could get you to skip the whole 'getting drunk and beating up an old man in a veteran bar' thing."

"I beat up an old man?" he says, excited.

"With Diego."

"Oh, how lovely," he breathes, bringing up a hand to cup his cheek.

"Sure."

"Hey, aren't those Five's pajamas?" Klaus says abruptly, sitting up.

"...maybe."

"So are you guys...a thing?" he wiggles his thick eyebrows weirdly.

"No! Why does everyone think that?" I say, exasperated.

"Hey, hey, don't think I don't notice the way you two always make heart eyes at each other."

"We do not make heart eyes at each other," I say incredulously, my face burning up.

"Of course you do. You do it when you think the other can't see, Ben notices most of all!" he gestures towards Ben's corner.

I scoff. "Okay, that's- hah- I mean- that's not even-"

"No use in denying it, y/n, I know a kid in love when I see one."

"Love?" I sputter as he sighs, "Ah, young love."

"Okay, I am not in love with Five."

Not yet, my conscience whispers.

Piss off, I tell it.

"But you at least like-like him," Klaus trills, poking me in the stomach with each 'like'.

"What are we, fourth graders?" I say, angrily pushing his hand away.

Damn, maybe I do like-like him. A little.

"Ah-ha! You're admitting it to yourself," he says triumphantly.

"Jesus, Klaus," I sigh.

"I believe it's actually Jesus Christ."

"Oh my God," I groan all the way back to my room.