XXV

I feel Five's grip on my hand tighten, a blue light flashes behind my eyelids, and I cease to exist for what seems to be a few seconds, but could have been hours, days, years even; it wouldn't have mattered.

Then my atoms come back together and my hand materializes in Five's, and all of a sudden I'm not just a consciousness floating through time and space; I have a physical form again. What a wild experience.

"Five?" I squeeze the hand I'm holding, not daring to open my eyes yet.

"Yeah, I'm here," he says, squeezing back in confirmation, sounding out of breath.

I sigh in relief and open my eyes, ignoring the green landscape around us and instead looking to Five. "Holy- holy shit!" I laugh, shaking him by the shoulders. "You did it!"

He looks tired, but he smiles nonetheless. "I did do it," he sounds mildly proud.

"And we're in one piece!" I'm still laughing manically as I pull him into a tight hug. "A little nauseous, a little itchy, but in one piece!"

"We are," he looks me over once I let go, his eyes searching my face intently.

"What?" I ask softly.

"What?" he says as if he didn't realize he was staring. "Oh, uh, nothing, nothing," he quickly averts his gaze, his hand going to the back of his head. "We should, uh, look around."

"Hm," I purse my lips in confusion but gaze at the sunny park we're in nonetheless. There's women in pretty dresses and little kids running around in corduroys and suspenders.

"Come on," Five starts walking towards the park's entrance, which opens into a bustling city, with not-so-tall buildings and yellow taxis, along with other older models of cars. A little boy walks by us, holding a way too large stack of newspapers. Child labor - we're in the past, alright.

"Hey, kid," I gesture to him. He comes over and wordlessly lets me pick up the first paper. "November 25th, 1963," I grin at Five.

"Thanks," I say, giving paper back to the boy who's giving us weird looks as he walks off.

"So now what? We just spend the rest of our lives here?" I ask Five, who looks significantly more relaxed and happier than I've ever seen him. He's still got a stick up his ass, but it must not be as painful as before.

"No, they're gonna find us soon enough," Five says. "We're pretty much in hiding."

"Woah, that's cool."

"What part of this is cool to you?" he says disbelievingly.

"Dude, I'm, like, wanted across time and space. Totally badass if you ask me."

"You are a literal child," he shakes his head, smiling.

"But you love me anyway," I throw an arm around his neck, and a woman walking by us with two young children speeds up her pace, throwing us a dirty look. "Hey, it's not like we're fucking on the sidewalk, lady!" I call after her, and now she's practically running, dragging her kids along.

"Jesus! What part of 'in hiding' don't you understand?" Five says, shrugging my arm off as I laugh at the panicked look on his face. "We need to be inconspicuous, idiot."

"Okay, okay, I'm sorry," I wipe the tears out of the corners of my eyes. "You should've seen your face, though. So scandalized! You really are an old man."

Huffing in annoyance, Five starts walking.

"Ooh, we should get, like, disguises. These uniforms are sort of easy to pick out. I can wear one of those pretty dresses and you can have suspenders and a cute little hat-"