Chapter 8. Paradise by the Sea.

"Come on, girls!" Madelyn cried out as she jumped out of her van. "Let's get our suntan on!"
The girls all pilled out of the van, taking in the beauty of the of the beach as it glowed in the morning sun. "This is something I needed." Dana said as she stretched her arms. "I think we all did." Faith, Dana's sister, joined Dana in looking at the beach, it's sandy shores full of tourists and beach goers.
"Thanks for inviting me, sis." Faith said. "Don't mention it." Dana and Faith were inseparable; while Dana was quieter and more reserved, Faith was outspoken and had a habit of being crazy. They both enjoyed helping others whenever they could, and both had tremendous singing voices; Faith would often sing at the church, and Dana often would sooth people's mood with her voice.
"Dana, Faith!" Bethany yield. "don't get left behind with all this beauty; let's go hit the stores!"

Will drove to the resort in Mark's truck. With tourists' season on the horizon, the resort owner asked if Mark would fix the welcome sign for them; Mark had another job to take care of, so he asked Will to take care of it.
The entire drive there, Will's mind still went back to the poor girl in the woods. The terror she must have felt made his heart ache. Pushing the thought back to the corner of his mind, Will could see the resort sign, The Paradise Resort. "So, this is my first job." Will said to himself as he parked the truck in the resort's parking lot. "I will try not to screw up." He chuckled to himself.

"On deck, you lazy bums!" The young captain yield as he emerged from his compartment. "I want this ship ready for departure yesterday!" The crew hastily worked on the mildly damaged vessel, though the captain realized it would be far longer than he wanted before his beloved ship would sail the open seas again. "That damn beast!" he thought to himself. "First chance I get, I'll see his skull mounted on my hull, even if I must do it myself."
"Hezekiah!?" a voice behind him said. The voice was familiar to the man as he turned to its source. "Will St. John! Hezekiah yield as he jumped from the deck onto the land, embracing his old friend. "It's been too long, Will." He said, smiling. "Yes, it has; You're a captain now!"
Hezekiah stood proudly next to his ship, The Legacy. "Yes I am. And you?" Hezekiah asked.
"I am merely a humble worker, trying to earn my way in life." Will said. "Aren't we all?" Hezekiah and Will laughed.
"Your boat looks like hell." Will said, observing the vessel. "What happened?" Hezekiah's smile disappeared, replaced by anger. "What happened to it? That damn beast leviathan, that's what happened to it!"

The Leviathan was a legendary sea serpent that was thought to be a myth. With a height of twelve feet high and fifty feet long, its skin was said to be tougher than an elephant's. Its teeth were shaper then any blade, and was so vicious, the mightiest warriors of old would fear it. Will himself had heard of the creature, but never gave it a serious thought. "The Leviathan exists? he asked. "I saw him myself as he ravaged my boat!" Hezekiah pulled up his right pants leg, reveling a false leg. "And nearly took me with it!" Will stared in disbelief at the leg. "Hezekiah, I'm so sorry." He said. "Don't be, old friend; as long as God keeps me on this earth, nothing, not even that cursed beast will keep me from my dreams!"

"The boys are here!" Madelyn cried as her boyfriend, Colton, parked his truck. Thomas and Tyson also came along.
"Hey, babe." Colton said as he kissed Madelyn. " I just got some much-needed R&R and could use a good day at the beach."      
Aurora smiled as Tyson embraced her. "Ready for some sun, babe? she asked. "You bet; it's been too long since I got a tan." The group laughed.

"Okay, but before we do that, let's get some shopping done!" Madelyn said. "The beach isn't going anywhere. Let's go!"
The group walked along the busy walkway to the nearest shopping mall by the resort. "Let's try not show too much when we look at swimsuits, okay?" Grace said. "Yeah, I agree." Dana interjected." I know I have a nice figure already, so..." Madelyn placed her arms on both their shoulders. "Oh, stop being buzz killers!" She said, smiling. "We've all worked hard, and need this time off; besides, we're not going to do anything stupid or dangerous." Grace rolled her eyes. Dana smiled. "Okay, let's get this show on the... huh?" Madelyn paused momentarily. "Madelyn, what's wrong?" Aurora asked. "Babe, are you all right?" Colton looked in the direction Madelyn was looking; a young man was helping put the welcome sign back together.

"Bethany, Is that Will up there? Madelyn asked. Both Bethany and Thomas looked. "It is!"
"Oh great!" Grace thought to herself.
"Hey Will!" Thomas yield. Will was surprised at first, but looked down to see the group, smiling.
"Can you spare a minute?!" Thomas asked. Without hesitation, Will jumped down toward the group, landing in the sand. "So, we meet again." he said. "What brings you here?" Bethany asked. "The owner asked if I could help with the welcome sign here, so here I am." Madelyn observes Will. "Long time, no see, Will!" She says. "Yes, it has been a while, Madelyn." 
"When did you get back?" Madelyn asked. "A couple of days ago; I'm staying with the Philips."

Colton cleared his throat. "Oh sorry, babe; Will, this Colton Paterson, my boyfriend." Will reached out his hand. "Colton, nice to meet you." he said. Colton extended his hand as well, both shaking. Colton's grip was strong, Will noticed. "Likewise." Colton said. 
Will noticed Dana in the back of the group. "Hello again, Dana, was it?" he asked. A shocked look came on Dana's face. "Yes, that's correct. This is my younger sister, Faith." 
Will politely smiled at Faith. " Hello Faith, nice to meet you." Faith was uncharacteristically quiet, staring at Will. 
"So, Will, Care to join us?" Madelyn asked. "Yes, you could probably use a rest, and some sun as well." Will looked around, seeing Grace and Tyson glare at him. They didn't intimidate him, but he didn't want to start trouble. 
"I would be honored, but alas I can't; I have to finish here." He said. "Aww, you can't?" Bethany asked. "He said he can't, Bethany." Grace interrupted. "Let him be about his work." Grace turned to see Will staring at her. "Yes, I must return to my work." Will said politely. "It was nice to meet you all again." 
Will returned to fixing the sign, leaving the group below. "What was that about?" Madelyn asked.
"Nothing." Grace said coldly. "Let's go; the day won't wait for us."
The group followed after Grace, save for Bethany and Thomas as they continued watching Will work. "What could have happened between those two?" Bethany asked.
"I don't know." Thomas said.