𝐕𝐈 ― south

―♛―

CHAPTER VI:

✧. ⋆ south

 ⋆ south

     𝕴N THE DISTANCE ELDRID COULD SEE THE NUNNERY waiting for them on a hill, the sun casting its light over the highest bell tower. Their horses carried them swiftly over the green fields towards the building of stone. They had been riding towards Epchester all morning at high speed. Uhtred was eager to see the woman who had been waiting for him. Eldrid couldn't be less interested in the reunion of the happy couple but it seemed fate had wanted her to go in this direction and so she followed. For no one could reject their fate.

Her brother steered his horse next to hers, looking around in a manner that let her know he wanted to discuss something without being overheard by their companions. Only when he was sure no one was listening in did he speak. "You really think going to Wessex is the best thing for us to do?" He asked. "The men will not fight for a Saxon king."

Eldrid raised her eyebrows at him. "You were the one who told me to form an alliance with Ragnar."

Bjorn nodded. "I did and the men have gladly followed the son of Ragnar the Elder but they won't follow us into Wessex without the promise of plunder."

He spoke the truth, of course he did. Hunting slave traders had made her men rich. She never allowed them to keep the women, which was a strange thing to do and she knew it but she refused to stand by and watch them betray their wives and rape other women. It had taken them a while to follow that order, but in the end it had turned them into honorable men. However, any plunder they managed to find, they were allowed to keep. And more often than not the slave traders had ships filled with silver, pelts and even strange things from beyond the sea. If she brought her men into Wessex without the promise of any plunder awaiting them, they might refuse her.