𝐈𝐗 ― strings of destiny

―♛―

CHAPTER IX:

✧. ⋆ strings of destiny

 ⋆ strings of destiny

     𝕿HE CLOSER THEY GOT TO EOFERWIC, THE ANGRIER UHTRED SEEMED TO BECOME. So much so, that as they crossed the courtyard and headed for the palace, the fire within his eyes burned fierce enough for the guards to let them pass without protest. Still, her hand hovered near her sword in case the guards decided to change their mind. Or in case some monk would be stupid enough to give them the order to fight.

After defeating Sigefrid in battle, they'd returned to Loidis and told their men to wait while they went to visit King Guthred. The news of Sigefrid and Erik's defeat had strengthened the spirit of their warriors and they were content to revel in this victory for a while. Soon enough, though, they would grow restless. Eldrid hoped they were marching to Dunholm before that happened. Sadly, that decision depended on a man she wouldn't even trust with the choice of what to eat for dinner.

"We are here at the request of Alfred of Wessex. The king will wish to see us!" Beocca introduced their rather strange travelling party. He was running to keep up with Uhtred's angry stride. "Uhtred, I will speak first."

"Father, you will say nothing," Uhtred snarled.

They marched into the hall. Only one table was placed at the far end of it. There, seated on his throne of stone, sat the turd king. His face seemed to turn even more pale when he saw who had entered his palace. He all but jumped to his feet, nervously grasping a hold of the armrest of his chair to keep himself upright.

Uhtred came to a halt in front of the table, his eyes holding a thunderstorm. Behind her, Finan and Rollo turned around to stop the guards inside the hall from doing anything stupid. Though, merely reaching for their swords turned out to be enough. Guthred's men were either afraid to fight, or they did not wish to turn against Uhtred, who had been their commander after all. Considering the task that awaited them, Eldrid could only hope it was the latter.