Chapter 8

"Yemi's going home today," Kyrie informed his brother as they both dug into their individual lunches. He had spent the entire morning with Immanuel, shadowing him and learning the ways in which he brought the mission of the company to life. Now they were sitting in the break room together, and Kyrie needed a conversation starter. "Have you visited since the first night?"

Immanuel swallowed his food and took a long sip of water before nodding his head. "I've been going everyday. Winona doesn't talk to me when I'm there though."

"I'm sure she appreciates it though."

"I don't know, but I feel bad for her," Immanuel admitted to his brother. "She lost her mom not too long ago and now Yemi's sick."

"A few days ago, you couldn't stand being around her. Why'd you start caring?"

Immanuel blinked hard, surprised by the question. "I never stopped if that's what you think."

"It was just the impression I got," Kyrie said, shrugging. "I hope you know that Vanna and I mean no harm when we pick on you. It's just what siblings do."

"I get it," Immanuel murmured. "We laughed at you for months when your first girlfriend dumped you."

Kyrie frowned. "But you and I were in middle school. That was normal, playful teasing. I should have been more sensitive about Winona, considering all the shit you two endured."

"It's cool," Immanuel said dismissively. "I would have just held her back. She's done well for herself, especially without me around."

"The last year has actually been pretty rough for her." Kyrie had stopped eating at this point and placed his fork on his plate. "It may not seem that way because of the way she carries herself, but she's still in a lot of pain."

"What do you mean?"

Kyrie sighed. He wasn't sure it was his place to retell her story, but Immanuel had to know. "Her mom died the night she left boot camp. She tried calling Queen. We were so exhausted with Giana that we didn't hear the phone ring. Vanna was halfway across the country filming for the documentary, and Mom was out with some friends. So, no one was there for her. She showed up to lead the campaign the following week and without telling anyone about Taylor, she dove into her work. One day, she stayed later than everyone else. She was done for the day, but she was using the space to work on the documentary. I said goodnight and left without checking in on her. I didn't even think twice about it because she seemed fine on the surface.

"I was halfway home when I realized I'd forgotten my house keys. I didn't want to wake Queen, so I turned around and went back." Kyrie tried to gauge his brother's reaction. He could barely get through the rest of the story without his voice crackling, but Immanuel was holding his breath in anticipation. Kyrie couldn't just leave him hanging. "I found Winona face down in the parking lot. I remember her feeling so cold. I could barely feel a pulse. I thought she was going to die. Mom and Queen rushed to meet me at the hospital that night. Dad had to pick up Yemi to let the sitter go and stayed with the kids. I called Vanna and told her to take the earliest flight she could find. I even called you."

"But I didn't answer," he whispered dejectedly. "You left a voicemail and told me to come home as soon as possible. I listened to it that night. Why didn't you just tell me what had happened?"

"You were in Cali," Kyrie reminded him. "You were trying to get over her, but for some reason, you went to relive your memories. If I said it out loud, if I told you she was on the verge of death, it would have been too real. You're not the only one who cares about her. She's like a sister to me. I love her the way I love Vanna."

"That's why you keep showing up for her." Immanuel looked away from his brother, ashamed. He had lost his appetite some time during the story, but now he felt sick to his stomach. "You've all been looking out for her."