Chapter 22

"Robyn Thornton does not accurately represent the mission of the Emerson Freedom Organization. After reviewing the facts, it has been determined that Ms. Thornton should be terminated effective immediately."

Kyrie dropped a stack of papers in front of his wife and handed her a pen. Robyn's name appeared multiple times on the front page of the detailed report drafted by Immanuel. Initially, Kyrie was concerned of the legal backlash that Emerson would receive for letting Robyn go, but he couldn't justify keeping her, considering that her actions led to Winona and his brother being physically harmed.

"Do we all agree?" he asked the other two bodies in the room.

Queen looked at the stack of papers in front of her and nodded her head. Without hesitating, she signed her name across the solid black line and slid the stack to Immanuel. "I agree to terminate Ms. Thornton."

"I agree," Immanuel said, signing his name.

Kyrie was the last to sign. Once the agreement had been filled, he said, "It has been unanimously decided that Ms. Thornton be immediately terminated from the company."

"Is she here today?" Queen asked the men. When Immanuel nodded, she raised a brow, surprised. "She has some nerve showing her face after the stunt she pulled."

"Regardless of how we feel about her personally, we need to proceed professionally," Kyrie reminded them both.

"Send her in," Queen murmured, dropping the grimace from her face. She managed to compose herself just as Robyn walked into the conference room and hesitantly chose a chair to sit in.

"Good morning," she spoke, looking nervously between the three Emerson directors.

"Ms. Thornton, thank you for being here." Kyrie opened a manila folder with paper copies of her employment record, documenting her progress at the company. He stacked the agreement on top and closed the folder before addressing her. "A report has been filed against you, and based on the evidence, the board of directors at the Emerson Freedom Organization has decided to terminate you. We are letting you go."

Robyn hummed. "Can I ask why?"

"We found that you've conspired against an employee of EFO for personal gain," Queen answered. "And lack of fit. In other words, you don't interact with colleagues in an appropriate manner."

"Is this because of the incident with Bradley?"

Queen shook her head. "You will receive a detailed copy of this discussion today. Please clear out your desk and leave all company equipment behind immediately."

Kyrie and Queen exited the conference room together, but Immanuel lingered behind to address her. He couldn't speak freely about the events that had transpired a couple weeks ago at Yemaja's homecoming party, so he settled with a few parting words instead.

"Performative activism harms the communities we try to protect," he said to her. "If you are not genuine about the work we do, I suggest you find a different career."

He remained impassive as he left her alone in the conference room and greeted Winona in the lobby. A smile instantly lit his face upon seeing her. She wrapped her arms securely around his middle and looked around before kissing him on the lips. He laughed when the display of affection made her blush.

"You just saw me this morning," he whispered into her ear. "Miss me already?"

"I miss you all the time," she responded. "But I'm not here for you."

"You break my heart, Winona. Who are you here for then?"

"Winona," Queen called from across the lobby. She ran to the woman and pulled her in for a hug, squeezing her tightly. "It's so good to see you up. How are you feeling?"