Chapter 1

Kaden

This is some fucking bullshit. I can't believe the asshole that's currently sitting in front of me had the audacity to report me to the principal. I'll get him back for this, that's for sure. I'm a Knight, I don't back down when someone challenges me. He's the one at fault, yet he made it seem like it's me who should apologize. Tough luck, big boy. I'm not gonna tolerate your shit anymore.

As we sit in front of the principal's office, waiting for our parents to arrive, there's only one thought in my head.

Please let it be mom who comes here.

I am close to kneeling on the floor and praying to god at this point. I am hoping that my mom will come here and not my dad.

I mean, it's not like I don't want dad here or that I don't like him... It's just that... he's quite temperamental and hot-headed, while mom is usually calm and stoic. Nothing bothers her, unless it concerns the safety of her family.

She's deadly protective.

And I mean deadly.

Both my parents are, actually, but mom is worse than dad in that aspect. I've seen her slash a man's neck with no remorse after he tried to threaten my life with a knife. I was twelve at the time. The guy just showed up at mom's hotel, where I was casually spending my afternoon, then put a knife to my throat in front of my mom. She burned his arm off then slit his throat open. For the rest of the day, she kept me coddling me to her heart's content, not letting me leave her sight even for a moment. After that incident, the number of guards at the hotel went from five to twelve. Just like that.

My dad may not possess mom's power to burn things with his eyes, but he has insane strength. He can crush bones with his bare hands, which I've also seen a few times, and he can literally throw people across the room with no effort at all.

Both my parents are amazing, actually. They're extraordinary and I wish they were my biological parents so that I'd inherit even a bit of their power. Alas, I'm just their adopted son. Not that it changes anything. To me, they're my real parents, even if we're not related by blood.

Even though I love both my parents equally, I've always had a deeper connection with my mom. She's my savior, my rock, my idol. I don't know whether it's because it was her who found me when I was on the verge of death, or it's because she showered me with so much love and affection that she's ingrained into my very soul. Whatever the reason, I know that no one will take the special spot she has in my heart.

Maybe that's why I want her to come to my school, and not dad. I know that as soon as I explain to her what transpired between me and this shithead Dorian, she'll understand and take my side. Maybe she's even praise me.

"Just you wait until my dad gets here, Knight. - Dorian taunts, holding onto his broken nose - You're fucked. You'll pay for this."

"Sure I will." I scoff, not at all bothered. I know I did nothing wrong, so why should I be scared of being punished? And even if I did get punished for this, I wouldn't worry, because getting suspended would mean getting some free time to spend it with my family. As much as I like going to school and getting education, I miss the days when I'd just stay with my parents. I'd either go with dad to his office or I'd join mom at the Warriors Hotel and spend time with Cindy. She was actually my first real crush. For almost two years I was completely in love with her, even though she's eight years older than me. I was just a child back then and I pretty much fell in love with everyone who showed me even a little affection.

Thankfully, I'm not like that anymore.

I'm no longer a nine-year-old boy that mistakes care for love.