LESSON ONE: SMALL BEGINNING

Everything and Everyone Starts Small

Everyone has dreams of achieving great things and being recognized for some outstanding contribution to humanity. Yet most people are immobilized by their humble beginnings, allowing negative or unremarkable circumstances of their birth and status keep them from doing and being all that they can. People often look at successful individuals and wish they could be like them, forgetting that everything that we see originally starts small.

It’s easy to think that the Bill Gates, Steve Jobs and Nelson Mandelas of this world never knew a moment of lack and obscurity until we delve into their true life stories and find out that most of them had as humble a beginning as anyone.

In his autobiography, “A Long Walk to Freedom”, Mandela described Mveso the village where he was born as “a place apart, a tiny precinct removed from the world of great events”. By his own admission, Mandela’s roots and beginnings were quite obscure and simple compared to world standards. Yet Mandela was able to accomplish more in one lifetime than most people ever hope to, showing that the circumstances of our birth or our location has nothing to do with how much we can accomplish or become.

Your Birth is Only the Beginning

No one witnessing his birth would have foretold the great influence that Mandela would have on the world or how inspirational his life would be as a true testament to the strength and grace of the human spirit and all that anyone can accomplish if they believe in their dreams and vision. He showed that anyone with a dream and a heart to let that dream drive their actions can rise above any and every limitations to become successful.

It is easy to convince ourselves that because of our family connections, upbringing and social situations or location, we can never amount to anything or do anything worthwhile with our lives.

It is also very easy to feel isolated and insignificant in the grand scheme of things as far as the world and the universe is concerned, yet everyone has something great to contribute to the world. Like a small thread in a knitted sweater, we all have a part to play in the fabric of the world and you do not serve anybody by playing yourself down. And your dreams, deepest desires and intentions are the greatest gifts you can give the world.

Everything of value that we see in our world is a product of someone’s dream and desire. Imagine how little progress would have been made in the world if Edison, the Wright brothers, Beethoven, Leonardo da Vinci, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, your family doctor or your local market vendor had let their dreams die because they felt insignificant. Had they let the circumstances of their births or the reality of their upbringing and social standing stop them from pursuing their goals, we would not enjoy all the great ideas that they have created.

The fact of the matter is that we are born who we are and we cannot choose the location of our birth. Still we can choose the direction of our lives and the contribution we will make in the world by pursuing our dreams.  

Rise Above Your Limitations

As a young man living under the oppressive apartheid system, Mandela did not think about how little he had to contribute or how much of the limitations of his birth in ending apartheid. Instead he allowed his vision of a free society drive him to do his best in the struggle for a better society. His focus was his dream while his personal limitations were secondary.

Like Mandela, we should learn to make our dreams our focus and commit to letting our hearts become the guiding light in crafting the life that we want.

The truth is that most people have less than remarkable beginnings and most families will be what they are – ordinary. Still history tells stories of everyday people who became successful and made a difference by simply believing they could.

It really doesn’t matter which side of the track, town or the world you are from as long as you do something with the dream in your heart. The sooner you stop buying into the excuse that where you are or who you are is what is keeping you from succeeding then you will truly be on your way to living your best.

Don’t let feelings of inadequacy as a result of what you don’t have or insecurities about being from the wrong side of the tracks keep you from aspiring to be all you hope for. Stories of people who succeed against all odds are often more inspiring.

You don’t have to be born great to be great. Follow your heart and your dreams, start from where you are and see the magic of your life unfold before you.

“Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do” – Nelson Mandela