When In Doubt, Add Alberto

So this was happening. I was going to officially ask Giulia on a date. Nothing could go wrong, nothing would go wrong.

Oh boy, I was a little naive in hindsight.

Me and Alberto arrived at Mr. Marcovaldo's house as he placed the plates of pasta on his small table and we all gathered around, taking our seats.

As I plopped myself down on my spot, I glanced over shyly to Giulia, and then back at Alberto, who winked at me, probably telling in secret body language that we'd initiate the plan.

"Papa, school this year was great!" Giulia said as she wound the pasty spaghetti around her fork and stuck it in her mouth, "Luca was voted president of the astronomy class."

"Yep!" I said in delight and saw Alberto nod to me. I nodded quickly back and scooped my pasta into Giulia's plate.

"What are you doing?" She asked confused and I pinched my two fingers together, holding my hand up in the air like I was a chef, and responded.

"You need it, you have no fat on your bones!"

"Er-?"

"Yeah!" Alberto chimed in, "All your fat is going to your coconuts!"

"Aye ya!" Giulia whined and rolled her eyes up to the sky, shaking her head barely and just continuing to eat.

"Can I have some more pasta, Mr. Marcovaldo?"

The big burly man cocked an eyebrow up confused and me and Alberto smiled awkwardly back.

He slowly nodded his head and plopped some more pasta onto my plate with seconds.

I could feel my stomach growl but quickly looked over to Giulia, seeing she was nearly finished again.

I held a fork of pasta up to my mouth, about to shove it in, but I saw Giulia was about to get up. I quickly placed the fork back on my plate and when she had gone to the bathroom, I scooped my pasta back onto her plate.

Her father stared at me mystified, and when Giulia had come back, she froze when she saw her plate full again.

"But I-?"

"C'mon and finish your meal, Giulia!" Alberto called to her, "We want to do more tonight than just watch you eat."

"But I-?!"

I think Giulia's dad then understood what I was trying to do. He smiled at his daughter and said softly.

"You don't like my pasta..?"

"Papa?!" Giulia yelled at him, hurt, and slammed her bum back to the seat, forcing the food down.

I looked at her dad and he looked at me, winking and given a small smile.

"Urgh..." Giulia finally relinquished to her bloated belly and she held it there, rubbing it in sore pain.

"Giulia, can I ask you something?" I finally said, getting to my perfect plan from the strategy I used.

"Luca, you can ask me anything as long as it doesn't involve eating more pasta."

"Go out with me?" I rushed in as soon as she finished her sentence and she closed her eyes slowly, seeming to be trying to meditate and escape her full stomach pain.

"Sure, sure..." She said, not half-listening. Me and Alberto looked at one another, big smiles on our mouths and we both broke into cheers and clapping.

"What is with you two?" Giulia just asked, puzzled, and then suddenly realized what she had agreed to, "GO OUT WITH YOU?!"

The two of us froze and only looked at her, tensing up like we didn't know how to solve our sudden dilemma.