Endings Make Me Cry

The future was opened to anything, that's one thing I knew for sure. Yes, sure, Alberto had to work off his debt for letting all the innocent fish free, but I mean THAT was nothing to what could've been.

As the days went by and we hung around the town, I suddenly realized that Alberto and Giulia were keeping something from me.

Like they had a secret they were bursting to tell me but were holding back a little. Finally it came out as Giulia pulled me along one day away from the town and my eyes opened in awe.

There it was, the first carnival I had ever seen.

There were kids and teenagers queuing up for turns on the metal contraptions, and some rides going so high up in the sky, I swear they were trying to reach for the moon.

Honestly, I would've never expected ever to be at a carnival like this ever. And that just made it all better.

"This is officially," Giulia began as she grabbed my hand tight and directed me to the scariest ride in existence, "Our second date."

"Really?!" I squeaked in glee and she nodded her head eagerly, pushing me along to the long queue for tickets. I could see Alberto hold back just the littlest and I wondered why. I, of course, didn't realize that he saw himself as a burden... a 'third' wheel, you could put it and I immediately felt bad for him.

"One day!" I whispered back at him and he just gaped at me, annoyance sprinkled on his face as if I was making him stand out like a sore thumb. He soon disappeared amongst the crowds and me and Giulia sat down on the ride's seats. We were buckled in tightly and I looked on ahead as I suddenly soared high into the sky like an enormous swing was being swung to no ends with us in it.

I screamed my head off, and Giulia was only roaring in laughter at my pain – Look, not my actual pain... just my fear...? That doesn't sound right either, but years later I'd have happy memories of this day so don't hold onto this moment of teasing from the most perfect girl in the world.

When the ride eventually came to a stop, I was trembling and found it hard to move from my seat, my body petrified even if my mind knew I was safe again.

Giulia helped me out and she looked at me concerned.

"Okay... maybe no more rides."

"W-what?" I stumbled out and looked at her, still trembling, "I'm sure I can handle one more."

She crooked her eyebrow up warily and then pointed to the safest ride possible, "Okay, the Ferris Wheel."

"Yes." I said and looked up at it, but gulped when I saw just how high it went, "Nope," I continued turning around from it and Giulia quickly grabbed my arm, stopping me from leaving.

"I understand," She said, and I knew when I looked in her eyes that she truly did, "How about we just get some candyfloss and walk around the cliffs."

"You read my mind."

She smiled coyly and pulled me over to the stall that had a machine that whipped the sugar into fluffy physical pink clouds.

"Perfect." She said and got us two sticks of it. The second my tongue touched the floss, my mouth exploded with flavour. I stuffed the sticky fluff into my mouth and it melted seconds from contact with my saliva. I soon realized that something was askew... missing. I then realized it was someone.

"Where's Alberto?" I asked and Giulia looked at me confused.

"I don't know," She said with a shrug.

"Well, we're leaving in a few days, it'll be nice spending time with him."

"But, Luca." Giulia said, and her voice sounded sad, "This is OUR date, not his."