Lies Never Work

It was half a guess and half instinct.

For some reason, something told my gut that he'd be in the last place people would check. I swam across the deep sea and there he was, before my eyes... just floating there outside the fish farm.

"Alberto?" I called and he froze up, looking over at me from where he was, just before the heavy gates.

I expected him to be at least kinda happy for my appearance, but he just looked distraught.

"Wha- wha," I stumbled out my words as I quickly took notice of what he was doing... his fin hand was on the gate, "What are you doing... Alberto?"

If he wasn't deep underwater, I swear I would've seen tears. But his eyes were veined a bit anyway and that showed off his utter pain.

"I'm doing the only thing I'm good at." He spoke back, cold and alone inside. He suddenly pulled back the gates and within seconds fish began to pour out.

"Alberto?!" I yelped and came over quickly to the gate, trying to ram it closed again. Alberto however just stood away coldly as I was about to join the two gates entrances close again and he whispered.

"Why can't they be free?!"

I looked at him flabbergasted at his remark.

"Free to do whatever they want... not to be trapped with no choice, nothing."

Once the gates were closed again, I looked through them to see how many fish were left inside, and I gulped realizing... there was none.

"We're going to be in SO much trouble."

"No, you won't." My friend replied and began to dip down into the deep, I followed so confused, "You're the golden boy, Luca...and I'm... I'm just a burden."

"Don't say that," I warned him, hurt at how he saw himself, "Everyone who knows you loves you."

Alberto closed his eyes as he slowly sank onto the ocean bed, and shook his head weakly, whispering, "Yet everyone who knows me... leaves... me."

I could feel his pain deep in my heart and I sat beside him, not knowing what else to do.

I suddenly saw a search light penetrate the sea and the two of us froze as it ran across the bottom floor, in search of something – or someone.

"We have to go," I said to him quickly and grabbed his forearm, pulling Alberto with me, "Or else we'll be in deep trouble."

"All I do is cause trouble," He hissed and suddenly yanked his arm free of my grip. I turned around, watching terrified as he began to swim to the light and I grit my teeth. I knew what I had to do. I suddenly whipped my tail back and forth as I shot through the water and aimed for the searchlight, finally reaching it before Alberto. My friend's mouth opened in a gasp as he knew what I was going to do.

Take the blame for letting the fish go.

"Luca...?" He whispered and I waved him away, warning him not to come any closer.

I burst through the waves, and the light landed on me seconds later. The men in the boat recognized me instantly and called out.

"Luca?!"

"Si..." I peeped and they then shone their light over to the empty fish farm.

"You are in so much trouble."

"Heh heh," I laughed nervously and could see Alberto's shadow under the waves as he swam off.

~x~

I was returned to the town and angry fishermen stood around me, judging me, cussing me. Almost wanting to kill me.

My mum and dad had come back to the town, and I stood there, not saying a word.

Finally, Giulia shoved her way through the crowd and looked at me, heartbroken.

"Why would you do this, Luca?" Mum asked me, and I bit my lip afraid at her disappointment, "Just, why, son?"

"Because... I'm an idiot," I whispered, closing my eyes and inhaling deeply and sadly, "Because... I... am a bad kid."

The crowd all grumbled and swore at me, and I finally blinked back opened my eyes, seeing Giulia there, shaking her head.

I knew she didn't believe me. She knew me inside out...and I saw her glance her eyes back to the bay, rushing over and I quickly tried to stop her from discovering the truth.

"Giulia, wait."

"It wasn't you." She said back to me, and I stood before her at the edge of the pier, the fishermen glaring at me in case I tried to escape.

"Please, Giulia..." I whispered, and she looked deep into my eyes, "Please."

She grimaced, biting her tongue and remaining silent. We came back to the crowds, and Giulia's father was among them now. He seemed in nearly as much pain as what I had seen in Alberto, as he looked at me and asked.

"Why, Luca? Our biggest income... sabotaged. It'll take two months to refill it with the same number of fish."

I knew then, that me taking the blame was a bad idea. But I couldn't rat out Alberto. I sighed and looked at the burly man, whispering, "I'm just a stupid kid... that's all."

I saw Alberto's face among the crowd once I had said that, and he turned away, tears running down his cheeks.

"Alberto?!" I called suddenly, rushing through the crowds and seeing him about to jump off the pier into the never-ending sea.

"So I guess, a stupid kid is what caused all this."

"I-"

"Thanks for helping me make up my mind." He hissed and dived off the stone pier, making a big splash as he disappeared under the waves.

I gulped, before turning around and seeing the crowd with furious faces, hearing their enraged voices.

I walked back over to them, but Giulia pushed through them to me and looked back to the ocean so very close by.

"It wasn't you... Luca. Was it?"

"Of course."

She gave a stern expression, and I bit my bottom lip nervously and hidden within myself. She looked back to where waters lapped upon each other in waves.

"It was him..."

"Don't tell a soul," I whispered to her, and she stepped back from me, her eyes angry and lost in what to do, "Please, Giulia... for me?"

Tears slipped down her cheeks and she shook them off hard. She suddenly ran away through the crowds and I was left alone.

With no allies and no friends.

My sight slowly looked past all the faces until I saw him there, just standing away on the docks.

Marco.

And he was seeing right through me. His eyes seemed forlorn and his stance weak in him. I nudged my eyes back to the sea, indicating to him where his son would be and he nodded his head gently, jumping back in.

Mum and Dad tried to defend me in front of the crowd but it was no use.

The town's people wanted me punished. Some even wanted me gone. I wouldn't blame them.

I just had to see Giulia that night and explain everything. I knew she'd understand why I did what I did.

I knew.

I hoped...