Chapter 2

( 𝚏𝚒𝚟𝚎 𝚢𝚎𝚊𝚛𝚜 𝚕𝚊𝚝𝚎𝚛 )

I felt a small tug on my pants. Looking back, I was met with brown, doe eyes.

"Mummy," the voice of my five year old daughter spoke, "Aunty wants to talk wiht you on the phone."

A smile plastered on my face and I rubbed my daughter's, Kimela, head. I walked over to the wired phone connected to the wall in the kitchen. The white phone was placed on the counter, and I placed it on my ear. "Hello?"

"Cherilyn, hey!" I heard the familiar voice of my friend.

"Juliet, what's up," I replied, twirling the wire on my finger while I watched Kimela.

"Elaine has been bothering me all day about going to see Kim," she sighed. "She won't stop until I give in, so can I come over?"

"Sure, no problem," I said. I heard her sigh a breath of relief and we said our goodbyes before she hung up. I picked up Kimela, hooking my arm under her legs and supporting her with my other arm around her back. "Elly's coming! Aren't you happy?"

As soon as she heard the words, Kimela's face brightened up, and I saw a grin stretch onto her face, allowing me to see the missing canine she's so proud of. "Weally?"

"Yup," I let her down and saw her run to the stairs. "Where are you going? You haven't eaten dinner yet."

She turned back to me with the same unfaltering grin. "I need to clean my room. El won't come bahk if is messy." Kimela ran up the stairs, disappearing to clean her room. I chuckled under my breath, and went back to the sink to clean the remaining dishes.

I heard a faint knock coming from the door and I walked over to it. I pushed back the blinds on the window next to the door. A tall man stood in front of the door, constantly rubbing his hands on his pants. He held a bouquet of flowers in one hand.

I smiled as I undid the lock on the door, swinging it open to be met with a boyish smile. "Caelum. Nice to see you," I greeted.

"Hey, Cher," his eyes widened as he realized his mistake. "Uhm, I mean Cherilyn.." He quickly corrected himself, knowing how I hated people calling me by nicknames.

"Haha," I laughed and waved him off, "It's fine. Anyway, what are you doing here?"

"I.. uh.." he tripped on his words as he looked into my teasing eyes. "I was about to go shopping, but.. Uh, here," He held out the flowers and I crossed my arms with an eyebrow raised.

"So, you had enough time to buy these flowers?" I asked. "The price tag is still on them."

Caelum's eyes widened in shock and he looked at the floor, flustered. He was every aspect of adorable. And he was a horrible liar.

I wasn't dense enough to not realize his crush on me. He clearly had one.

I brought my hand up to his cheek, brushing his hair away so I could see his face. He was taller than me by a lot, so I had to stand on my toes to reach him. I smirked as I saw his ear reddening.

"You're so cute," I breathed out. I pulled back and looked at the flowers still extended to me. I took them in my hand and smiled at him. "Thank you, though. Come in."

He followed after me, his eyes never leaving me as he pushed the door close. I patted the couch and he sat on it. I placed myself next to him, crossing a leg over the other.

"So, why are you really here, Caelum?" I asked, hearing his breath hitch when he heard me say his name with a low voice.

"Um.." He bit his bottom lip and turned his head away from me. "I wanted to see you.." he whispered. "And Kimela! It's been so long." He quickly added.