Chapter 4

It was my first day at Verlice Corp

It was my first day at Verlice Corp., and being hired unexpectedly made me extremely nervous. I was scared I would mess up in the first minute, since I've never been a personal assistant. However, Caelum was right beside me, comforting me. I felt relieved of my stress almost immediately.

As I parked in front of the large building, I was ready to take my ID out as I walked to the security. One of the men held out his hand and stopped me. I raised an eyebrow, looking down at the ID in my hand.

"Who are you?" The man spoke with a gruff voice. A look of confusion crossed my face, even though I saw him just yesterday.

"I am Mr. Verlice's assistant," I replied. "He told me to come in at 6:30 today. Is something wrong?"

The men both frowned and looked at each other with a doubting look. The other guard looked back at me with lips pressed together. "It's required to wear a lanyard with an ID around your neck stating what you work as if you work here before you enter. It's for safety measures. Sorry, but we can't let you in."

'Wow', I thought, 'My first day of work and they deny me access. How was I supposed to know you needed some stupid necklace to get in? Mr. Verlice didn't even tell me about it.'

"I see," I replied, looking back at my ID. I shoved it back into my purse. I looked back at the men, who wore surprised looks on their faces. "OK, have a nice day."

I turned around to walk back to my car. Looks like I won't be working today.. My thoughts started to drift off to other things as I opened my car door. I wonder if Kimela still likes white rice. She got grumpy because brown was her favorite and I didn't make it last time

"Ms. Ross!" I heard a man shout as a car door near mine slammed shut. As I turned my head, my eyes met beautiful amber ones.

Mr.Verlice.

He walked towards me, a hand in the pocket of his dress pants, taking long strides and closing the distance between us in a matter of seconds. My heart sped up in fear. It scared me when he walked so fast towards me, it looked like he'd kill me. He was also almost chest-to-chest with me.

"Did you plan on not coming to work today?" He asked, slightly narrowing his eyes. "You could've called me and I would have let them know you are my assistant."

"I was going to," I lied, trying to save my skin, "but I wanted to get in my car because it was too hot outside," I said, saying the first excuse that came into my mind.

Mr. Verlice stayed quiet for a bit before letting out a small sigh, then motioning for me to follow him with the tips of his fingers. He stride up to the security guards with confidence, making them stand straighter. "This is my assistant," he said bluntly, "Tell the other security guards that she doesn't need an ID to enter."

They nodded, but he ignored them and continued walking inside the building. I hesitantly followed him. I noticed how everyone who was slacking off or doing their own things suddenly jumped up and acted as if they were busy and working when Mr. Verlice entered. He passed by them and went straight into the elevator. I stepped in when he motioned for me to enter.