Chapter 6: Everything's frozen still

Kai is not talkative, it is very much established in the early meeting of you and him. He chose the easy way out, muttering "Oh yeah?" and "Is that so?" to make the person that talked to him conscious of their actions and stop talking, it mostly works on you but his patience seems to take the form of the sea when you persist and talk more, but sometimes he doesn't mind the stories you tell him. He tolerates you, and so does your family now too.

Kai listens as Inko talks to him and shows a picture book of you when you were little. He roams his gaze on the book and there is one thing that makes itself root in his head. Looking at the picture that was taken when you were a three-year-old, says Inko, where you had a gash on your knees and crying, (Kai wondered why would they capture a picture of you having a wound instead of helping you but he doesn't voice his concerns. It was probably your fathers doing, which it was.) you were really a snotty child like you said. Kai snorted and moved on to look at the picture that Inko was pointing at.

"This is when he was writing something in his diary, he was really focused and I wouldn't want to not capture that moment of his life!" Inko chuckled, "But I always capture pictures of my child anyway, so many of these pictures are mundane." She said, Kai let a smile grace his lips.

Seeing all these memories preserved, Kai thinks that Inko valued all her moments with her children a lot. It is eccentric to have many pictures that half of it are mundane tasks but, skimming through the picturebook, Kai felt his heart clench a little. He refused to name this ugly feeling and he also refused to feel this way.

It's not like he wants a family too, like a proper one, ya' know? It's not like he also likes getting embarrassed about having his picture taken just because he did something good. He is not wishing for that life, not at all. Kai sighs and closes his eyes. Enough of those idle thoughts.

He focused again on Inko's stories but it seems like she moved on and had her polaroid camera in her hands.

When did she get that? Was it her quirk?

"Do you want a picture too?" Inko asked kindly. She has a small smile on her face as if she knew what he was thinking a while ago. Kai blushed and look away.

"If...If you insist.." He whispered. They both ignored that Inko didn't really insist but that is all just fleeting thoughts. Inko chuckles and points her polaroid camera to Kai. The middle schooler squirmed on his seat, his ears red as he calmed himself down. He breathed and looked at the camera while Inko waited for him.

He smiled, it was probably the most awkward smile he had in his life.

¤¤¤

A poster caught your attention whilst you waited for the sign to turn green. It was a poster for hiring part-timers in a ramen shop not far from your school. Your thoughts drift as the lights turn green and you also walk with the people that were waiting to cross the pedestrian. It was Saturday so you and Izuku only have half a day at your school. You didn't have any clubs to attend to, choosing to help your mother on Saturdays and Sundays and take care of the house while your mother will be late to go home on weekends. It doesn't bother you but you're a bit curious if plots of sports anime happen here too, but you shook your head, this is the reality now, focus on your life instead.

You pass by the tree that Kai had found you with an injured ankle. You smiled when you remember it and continue walking.

Your thoughts turned to the flyers that you saw on your way. The part-time job in the ramen shop near your school sounds like a good starter for you to get experience in the work field. Though your age might hinder you and Inko might not approve of it too. There was a point when you asked her if you can have a part-time job as early as 16 but she disagrees and says that she can handle the working while you and Izuku work towards your future. You didn't persist because it reminded you of what your original mother always says: