Chapter twelve

It was lunchtime, and Lucy was sitting alone at her dining room table, drinking a cup of tea. Tristan had stayed behind to take care of Storm, and Rachel had stayed with him. Jared had gone with Riley and Lilith to check out how Riley had set up his computer to work almost perfectly even without the joys of the internet. He had downloaded a bunch of games onto his computer when they were living in Blackwood, and they were working out if there was a way to link his computer to Jared's so that they could play against one another, even here.

I feel like I should be doing more than this, she thought to herself. It didn't seem right, all of this sitting around doing nothing when there was a world of people out there that she could be helping. Weren't they supposed to be making a difference? I mean, they had all of this power and it was just going to waste.

She was frowning into her cup when there was a knock at the door.

With a start, Lucy leapt up and strode over to open it.

Cora stood in the doorway, luminescent as always and smiling warmly. "Good afternoon, Lucy."

"Cora! Hi. Come on in," Lucy replied, stepping to one side so that Cora could pass.

Cora smiled and glided inside. "Oh, you're having tea. Perfect. Do you mind if I join you?" She pointed at the pot on the kitchen table.

"Of course not, I'll just get you a cup," Lucy answered, quickly dashing to retrieve a cup for Cora.

As Lucy sat down at the table across from her, Cora reached into her pocket. "While I remember, I brought some of my special blend for you and your friends." She pulled out a purple bag with a ribbon tied around the top and handed it to Lucy.

"Thank you, Cora," Lucy replied, taking the bag. "I know someone who would love some of this." She grinned and put the bag of tea on the table in front of her. Then she poured out a cup for Cora and refilled her own.

"So," Cora began. "How are you finding life in Eleos so far?"

"Great," Lucy responded. "It's so beautiful here and everyone has been really kind."

"But?" Cora prompted.

Lucy stared back, unsure of what to say.

"You're feeling a little guilty," Cora added with a knowing smile.

Lucy half-smiled back. "How did you... Oh, of course." She tapped the side of her head. "Mind reader."

Cora chuckled. "I try not to intrude, but sometimes people scream at me without realising. It's the reason I dropped by to see you, actually."

"Really?" Lucy asked, feeling even more uncomfortable. Had she been mentally screaming? It certainly didn't feel that way.

"Do not worry, child. I'm more tuned in to you and your friends at the moment, which is why I noticed, that is all. You are not doing anything wrong."

"Oh, right, of course," Lucy said, feeling a little relieved.

"I want you to let go of that guilt," Cora continued. "You'll have plenty of time to help out and make a difference, but first, what I want for you and your friends is to find your place here in Eleos. Give yourself time to settle in, get to know this world, enjoy this phase together," she added the last with a mischievous grin. "You're experiencing new things, in many ways. I want you to enjoy those moments before you start giving too much of yourself to everyone else. Do you understand?" Cora reached across the table and took Lucy's hand in hers.

As it did almost every time Cora touched her, warmth spread through her body and she felt her muscles relax. She allowed the embarrassment of what Cora so obviously knew wash away and let the comfort seep into her bones.