Chapter Fourteen

After breakfast, Lilith insisted that Lucy put the leftovers in the fridge to keep for later, much to Jared's delight, and then they quickly cleaned up the mess.

"So, we're going to meet back here at Noon, right?" Riley asked as he wiped his hands on his jeans.

"Yep," Lucy replied. "That's the time Cora gave us, anyway."

"Awesome," Riley said with a grin. "I'll bring my computer so I can make sure I catch everything."

Lilith chuckled.

"Hey, don't hate," Riley added with a playful jab to her arm. "This information is going to come in handy at some point."

"Whatever makes you happy, Riles," Lilith said as she wrapped an arm around his shoulder. "Let's go get your computer." She turned and looked over her shoulder as they left the cottage. "We'll see you guys back here at Noon."

"See you then," Lucy replied with a warm smile. She watched them through the dining room window as they made their way up the path and then she turned to put the kettle on. "Do you guys want tea?"

Jared shook his head. "I miss coffee," he said as he opened the fridge and pulled out half a muffin. He took a bite and nodded his head. "Judy is awesome."

Lucy rolled her eyes.

"I'll have one," Rachel said as she crossed the room to lean against the bench.

"I need to go check on Storm," Tristan said as he reached over to kiss Lucy on the forehead. "I'll be back soon."

"I'll come with you," Jared added, stuffing the rest of the muffin into his mouth. He gave Rachel a quick squeeze and then tried to kiss her, but she leant back laughing.

"No way," she giggled.

He grinned, trying to keep the muffin in his mouth, gently butted his forehead against hers and then he and Tristan left the cottage.

Rachel stared after them for a moment before turning back to Lucy. "I love your brother, so much."

Lucy smiled. "I know."

"Are you happy, Lucy?" she asked, looking at Lucy with wide, innocent eyes. "I mean, really happy?"

Lucy looked back at her best friend, thinking only for a second, before she said, "Yes, I am."

Rachel's eyes twinkled before a smile broke across her face. "Good," she said. She stepped around the bench and wrapped her arms around Lucy. "You deserve to be happy," she whispered.

Lucy's heart fluttered and she smiled. "How could I not be happy, Rach? I have so many things to be thankful for."

"I know," Rachel replied, pulling back. "But you've had so many things to worry about lately too, and I know that you still miss your parents a lot. And don't think we haven't all noticed how much you try to hide how sad or stressed you are sometimes." She looked at Lucy with a small smile. "You don't have to be brave all of the time, you know."

Lucy didn't know what to say, so she stared into her best friend's eyes in silence.

"It's okay, Lucy," Rachel said, smiling. "I'm just reminding you that we're all here for you, whenever you need us. Anytime."

Lucy smiled again and pulled Rachel against her. "Thank you," she whispered.

"You are most welcome," Rachel replied.

"And I really am happy," Lucy added as she pulled back. "Really."

Rachel gently patted the side of Lucy's face. "Good." Then she turned to take the kettle off the stove as it began to whistle. "Now, you mentioned something about Cora leaving some of that great tea here the other day?"