ryuunoske!!! pt.2

'my body aches, all i see is black, i can barely breath. what's wrong with me? why do i feel like this? where am i? what happened to ryuu? is he safe? did i save him, or did i fail?!'

golden-lavender eyes shoot open. atsushi's body reacts without thoughts and sits up. his breath unsteady from sudden the panic, he observes his surroundings.

a small white room that looks to be a hospital room, and he's wearing a hospital gown.

wait- where's ryuu?!

atsushi throws the blanket off, rips the iv out of his wrist, tears the heart rate monitor sticker off his chest and attempts to jump out of bed to search for akutagawa, but he underestimated his injuries.

his legs give out and he collapses to the ground. atsushi's breath quickens, someone sprints into the room, witnessing the situation.

atsushi's breathing becomes more difficult to swallow. he looks up but his vision swarms in darkness.

"atsushi! what are you doing?! you need to rest!"

"d-dazai...?" atsushi stutters, his voice cracking from the lack of air. dazai reassures atsushi. "yes atsushi. it's me, but what are you doing?! you need to rest, relax your breathing." atsushi chokes out coughs, dazai traces a circles on his back.

atsushi slowly begins to balance his breathing. "thank you for helping me calm down, dazai." the brunette only hums and removes his hand from silverette's back.

a memory enters atsushi's mind.

him carrying an injured and unconscious akutagawa, in his arms. sprinting around the burning and collapsing building, searching for an exit. losing breath with every step he took.

atsushi's eyes widen, he gasps. "dazai! how's ryuunoske?!" the weretiger shouts, dazai smiles.

"he's still unconscious but okay. he has a broken leg and a couple 2nd degree burns but nothing fatal." atsushi sighs in relief.

"although, his lungs are very weak at the moment. due to his lung disease, it was difficult for doctors to get him to start breathing again. because he was in the burning building for so long, he breathed in so much smoke his lungs began burning." atsushi is stunned.

"can they be healed?! does he need surgery or maybe medication..?" atsushi hiccups as he begins to cry again. dazai puts his hand on atsushi's left shoulder.

the brunette sighs, "they were able to stop the burning, they'll have him take medication for the damage the heat caused but it's possible that damage could be...permanent." dazai whispers the last word.

"can i see him? please!" he begs, dazai nods. atsushi beams, "here i'll take you to him."

dazai wraps his arm under atsushi's armpit and lifts his shoulder. they both exit atsushi's hospital room and walk through the halls, in search of akutagawa's room.

"his room number is 508 and yours is 514, so his is just across the hall."

the two detectives arrive in front of a door labeled '514'. "i'll escort you in." dazai opens the door and they walk in.

atsushi gasps, he's horrified. akutagawa is laying on the bed unconscious, wearing an oxygen mask, wrapped in bandages similar to dazai's, and he's connected to no more then 3 medical machines.

dazai walks toward the bed, he sits atsushi on a fold-out chair next akutagawa's bedside. "i'll leave you two be for a while." dazai exits the room.

atsushi holds akutagawa's hand tightly. "i'm sorry i didn't get to you sooner ryuu! i should've been faster, maybe i should've listened to dazai", he cries.

"i love you so so so much, ryuu! when you wake up i'll make sure to help you heal!" atsushi's cries quickly turn into sobs.

"i promise, i will protect you from now on! i-i promise!" he holds his head in his available hand and begins sobbing, continuing to grip akutagawa's hand.

suddenly, atsushi's hand is removed from his face, revealing his pale face and glassy eyes. "w-why are..you c-crying...jinko?" akutagawa stutters. his voice cracked and quiet but a melody in atsushi's ears.

"r-ryuu..? ryuu! y-you're awake!" atsushi holds akutagawa's hand and begins kissing the back of his pale hand. akutagawa quietly laughs, "hi j-jinko.."

[7/23/21] hiii it's been a while, sorry about that. i had a family emergency so i was gone for a while but now i'm back! this is the last part to this oneshot story but if you want more oneshot stories just tell me! ;p