train

it's an early monday morning, atsushi and akutagawa have been assigned an early mission, a minor, but time sensitive one.

the port mafia and armed detective agency are currently temporary allies for the time being, until they can locate fyodor.

shin soukoku were instructed that they were to be awake and aware by 4:45am, to make their train and complete this mission efficiently.

akutagawa asked mori why they couldn't use one of their designated vehicles, but he said all their cars were unavailable at the moment. akutagawa didn't buy his excuse, however, he kept his voice quiet.

it's around five o' clock in the early morning and shin soukoku are walking side by side to their designated train station.

atsushi yawns, a small tear escaping his squinted eyes. the two had worked together day and night for the last few days, searching for any clues as to where fyodor and nikolai had hidden. causing them to lose sleep and energy to their countless missions.

he groans, "why did we have to wake up so early? especially on a saturday!" the jinko walks hunched forward next to his partner.

akutagawa remains the same as his normal demeanor, except for his slightly visible eye bags. akutagawa ignores his complaints, "wake up jinko. i'll need your tiger senses and claws for our mission."

they arrive at yokohama train station, akutagawa buys their tickets with the mafia's savings. atsushi, still waking up, is hovering behind akutagawa, watching him pay for the tickets.

"alright, here's two tickets for the 5:15am train to fujisawa. have a good day!" akutagawa nods, he grabs the tickets and looks at the clock above his head. '5:10, good. we're early."

the two sit on a nearby bench in front of the tracks and wait for their train. atsushi drifts off for a few seconds once they sit down. as soon as he realizes he's zoned out, he instantly startles himself awake again.

"come on atsushi! wake up! you can't let your guard down."

"jinko, the train is here." atsushi looks up at akutagawa, who's standing in front of him with a cold expression and his hand out.

"oh. sorry," the jinko hesitantly takes his partner's hand and pulls himself up onto his feet.

they walk together to the opened doors of the car, looking around for available seating. there are no other passengers in sight. "wow. the train is so empty, no one's here." atsushi mumbles. 

akutagawa looks around the train car. "the mafia must've bought out this car for us not to arouse suspicion with other passengers." the two sit next to each other on the bench closest to the doors.

the train dings, indicating the doors are closing. "attention passengers, the train is departing"

the train slowly starts moving and departs on its travel to fujisawa. akutagawa admires the sunrise. the pinks and oranges blending together, painting a bright portrait in the sky.

the sunlight slowly rises to akutagawa's face, blinding his sight. he tries to block the sunlight from his eyes with his hand but feels it's being restricted. the raven looks down and sees he's still holding the jinko's hand.

the raven's turns his face away from their entwined hands as his cheeks flush a bright pink. while atsushi seems unbothered by it, or he's just too tired to notice.

suddenly, akutagawa feels something fall onto his right shoulder. he turns his head towards the jinko. a small smile replaces his usual cold expression.

atsushi had finally fallen asleep. his head rested on akutagawa's shoulder, digging his face in between the other's neck and shoulder, one of his arms limp in his lap, while his other hand was still intertwined with his partner's. small snores escaping his agape mouth, atsushi was out like a light.

akutagawa couldn't help but smile a bit, he was glad the jinko could get some well earned rest. the raven rested his head on top of atsushi's.

"wait. what am i doing? i mustn't let my guard down, we have a mission to complete. i can't allow myself to get distracted, especially by him."

akutagawa reminisces over the past few months with atsushi.

atsushi and akutagawa have worked closely together. they were rarely seen without each other, the two were always within five feet from each other.

they'd grown to tolerate one another after learning they would continue to work together because of the alliance. however, toleration had evolved into friendship. they learned to respect one another's abilities and strengths. they grew closer.

akutagawa always felt that atsushi was ignorant and stubborn, that he fought for the weak only to please himself.

yet, he was quite the opposite. atsushi was the most compassionate and empathetic person he had ever met. he didn't fight for the weak for selfish reasons, he fought for the weak because he understood what it was like to be weak. he connected with others, not to compare trauma, but to understand how they're feeling.

atsushi connected with akutagawa. they connected and created a new generation of soukoku.

atsushi groans in his sleep, digging his face deeper into the creep of akutagawa's neck, awaking him from his reminiscent daydream.

"mm...aku.."

akutagawa's eyes widen just as fast as they soften. he removes his hand from the jinko's and lifts it up to his fluffy hair.

"shh. rest, jinko." akutagawa runs his hand through atsushi's silver hair, he lays a gentle kiss on the top of the jinko's head.

"you never know...when we'll get another opportunity like this. to rest."