The Night Everything Changed

If someone had told Luz a month ago that on the day of the Hexside midwinter band concert she'd end up making out with her rival and then dragging her off into the middle of the night in order to help her avoid her weird parents, she might not have laughed, but she definitely would have wondered about their sanity.

Now she was wondering about her sanity.

Even though she knew she shouldn't take her eyes off the road, she risked a glance over at Amity, who was curled up in the passenger seat (without her seatbelt on because she insisted on "not looking weak in front of someone she didn't like"). Her knees were pulled up to her chest and her narrowed gaze was focused on something just outside the window.

The silence was uncomfortable, to say the least.

"Whatcha thinkin' about?" she asked.

Amity grumbled, wrapping her arms tighter around herself. "What a dumbass I am."

"Well, I think it's cute."

Amity pressed herself further into the corner. "I don't know why I agreed to come with you. I'd much rather just go back home and deal with my parents."

Luz didn't know whether that remark was sarcastic or not, so she didn't reply directly. "We're going somewhere nice. I think you'll like it."

By now, darkness had fallen over the wide fields and forests that surrounded Hexside, and thanks to the school's remote location, countless stars were visible overhead. Ever since moving over the summer, she had found her new life away from the larger city of Glandus stressful. Thankfully, the countryside wasn't all awful, and she'd quickly found a new spot to relax when her stress caught up to her.

They turned wordlessly around corners and down countless county roads. The only sound she could still hear was the pounding of her own heart. Her mind was speeding at a million miles an hour, and her thoughts swam with confusion. Her instinct right now was screaming at her wow, you really want to kiss Amity again, don't you? while the more common sense side of her brain scoffed at the idea. This is Amity Blight, remember? The girl you swore from day one to mess with, and nothing more?

When they reached their destination, Luz pulled over to the side of the road and hopped out. When she crossed over to the other side of the car, she pulled Amity's door open and smirked, inviting her out. "Ladies first."

Amity sniffed disdainfully, but exited the car anyway. "If you weren't such a damn good kisser, I wouldn't even consider letting you lead me into the dark woods to probably murder me."

"Does that mean you want to kiss me again?" Luz raised her eyebrows.

"Absolutely not." Even in the darkness, though, she could see Amity blushing.

She waved at Amity to follow her. "I figured coming out here might be able to clear your head. That's why I love it here so much. It gives me peace of mind, and I can only imagine how confused you must be right now."

"I'm not confused."

"If you're sure."

"I'm sure that this is barely better than whatever my parents are doing right now. God, they're gonna kill me in the morning. Remind me why I'm here again?"

"Because I'm a good kisser. You said so yourself."

"Ugh!" Amity seethed. "Goddamn it, Noceda."

"Shh. Look." Pulling her phone from her pocket, Luz turned on the flashlight and shone it up the hill they stood at the foot of. A huge stone slab jutted out from the hillside about halfway up, with a smaller one below it, forming a small cavern that was dug into the soil. It was surrounded by leafless trees, and somewhere nearby, a small brook babbles quietly. "It's my favorite place for stargazing."