Chapter 3

"Our camp?" I ask, my throat starting to feel uncomfortably dry as my head is still trying to catch up to everything that's happening. How long is it going to take before I wake up from this strange dream?

"Of course it's our camp," Nathan says, rolling his eyes as if he just said something that should've been obvious. "We need someplace to stay, right? For as long as you're fighting by my side, this will be your camp as well."

Of course, it's obvious but I just don't think I'll be stuck in this dream much longer. I should be waking up any second now. One minute becomes two though and before I know it, hours have seemed to have passed as we arrive at a small camp with only one tent. It's a good thing that we're finally at our destination, as right at that moment, my stomach starts rumbling.

"It's a good thing that you're here as that will make it a lot easier to catch our dinner," Nathan says as he gets off his stallion and ties it up.

"Catch it?" I ask, getting off of my mare. It's remarkable how I don't even feel sore even after riding all afternoon, must be because I'm dreaming.

I tie up my horse next to Nathan's before grabbing my bow and quiver.

"Yes, catch it," Nathan says, raising his eyebrow at me. "How else are we going to get our food? It's not like an animal will willingly jump onto the spit for us to cook."

I lick my lips nervously. Am I really going to have to hunt for an animal? What kind of dream is this? I didn't sign up for this!

Nathan walks over to me, looking me in the eye. "What's the matter?" He asks, sounding just a bit impatient. "We should do this now we still have daylight."

I hardly know what to say as I look into his entrancing eyes. "I just... haven't hunted for a long time," I eventually croak. "But you're right, time to go."

"While you hunt, I'll start preparing the fire," Nathan says casually.

I step away from Nathan, feeling like it's suddenly a bit easier to breathe. Blaming it on the smoke messing with my lungs only hours prior, I walk deeper into the lush forest we're in. Everywhere I look, I'm surrounded by greens and browns. It's like this place was plucked right out of a fairytale, which is pretty close to the truth honestly.

As I'm walking through the forest, a strange calm seems to fall over me. I'm looking around, conscious of every sound, the rustling of leaves, the wind blowing. And suddenly, I hear it, a branch snapping underfoot.

Before I even know it, I have an arrow cocked on my bow, pulled back and ready to be fired. I sneak forward, staying more silent than I ever have before. My feet seem to be able to stay away from anything that can expose me almost on their own.

As I sneak a glance through some scrubs, I see it, a big boar gnawing away on a tuft of grass. I take a steadying breath, raising my bow and pulling the arrow back to my cheek. I take a moment to aim and as I breathe out, I let the arrow fly, hoping it hits its mark.

*****

When I come back to the campfire, Nathan is tending the fire. He looks up as I walk toward him, humming as he sees it's me. "One shot only?" he says, a slightly surprised tone in his voice. "I'm impressed."

I roll my eyes, dropping the boar next to him. "Did you think I wouldn't be able to pull it off?" I ask, maybe just a bit irritated by the guy not having any faith in me even though I didn't even think I had it in me.

Nathan even has the nerve to shrug. "It's not that I didn't think you could do it, but it's good to know that you have it in you."

I huff as I sit down close to the fire, watching Nathan prepare the animal, cutting it up methodically. "You're pretty good at that," I say, placing my elbow on my leg and leaning my head on my hand. "What more can you do?"

"You'll find out in due time, Alexander," Nathan says, making a shiver run down my spine for some reason. Usually, I hate it when people use my full name, but for some reason the way Nathan says it, makes it sound like a title instead of just a name.

An easy silence falls over the camp as I watch him prepare our meal. Once in a while, he asks me to hand him something but most of the time, he's just concentrated on the task at hand which gives me the time to really look at him.

The light from the fire gives his dark brown hair an auburn look which actually looks really good on him. His long, slim fingers are working our food with practiced precision. He really looks completely too handsome sitting like that.

Without really wanting to, I can feel myself falling asleep. My eyes get unfocused and slowly close while I just try to pay attention to what Nathan does. Just a little longer. I don't want to wake up yet!