Chapter 6

"Hello, earth to Alexander," Nathan says, waving his hand in front of my face. "You've been very distracted today. Are you sure you're up for this?"

"Yeah, totally," I say, mentally slapping myself silly. I need to get a grip. I'm sure I can find a way to go back home. "I guess my mind is just being weird."

I can see that Nathan doesn't believe me, but I don't have time to think about that as a man is making his way to us. He is dressed in a guard uniform.

"Good morning, gents," he says, sending us a calculating look. "What can I help you with?"

"We're just passing through," Nathan says, wearing an unreadable expression on his face as he observes the guard.

"Where to, might I ask?"

As I glance around, I see that the streets are suddenly a lot more deserted than they first were. Only a dozen or so men remain, but the way they're eyeing us sends alarm bells ringing in my head. I grind my teeth, placing my hand on the bow that's concealed on my back. Feeling the smooth wooden handle, I immediately relax a little.

"I don't think that is any of your concern," Nathan says, still looking calm and collected. How does he do that?

"Then why don't you tell me what you're doing on these grounds?" Another lower voice calls out from a raised platform. I turn to the sound of it, looking up to see an older man, dressed in a deep red suit. His ebony hair is tied in a low ponytail while his goatee is stylized to a perfect point. Definitely villain material. "You are not welcome here."

I glance over to Nathan who's glaring at the new man with barely contained hatred.

"Begging your pardon," I say after clearing my throat, catching everyone's attention. "But who are you to decide that?"

The man lowers his dark eyes at me, baring his teeth. "I am Lord Ardelian. I own these lands."

"Terrorize is more like it," Nathan growls. I look at him, finally realizing what we're doing here.

Paying attention to Nathan, I forget to check my surroundings.

"Watch out!" Nathan calls out, pushing me out of the way of an arrow that is heading right for the space that my face was occupying only moments prior.

"Thanks," I croak, immediately grabbing my bow and an arrow, sending it right back in the direction the shot came from.

"Keep a better eye out," Nathan says dismissively, turning around to see the gathered men advancing towards us, suddenly holding all kinds of weapons. Ardelian smirks as he looks down at us. He waves his hand dismissively towards us and instinctively I know that doesn't mean anything good.

I groan inwardly, trying to focus on the men moving towards me while hay cracks under my feet as I move around more gracefully than I ever could in the real world. Not wanting to hurt them too badly, I aim for shoulders and kneecaps, letting arrows fly left and right while Nathan is going after Ardelian. How can the guy seriously leave me behind with all these guys while he's going after just one?!

Putting my bow over my shoulder, I switch to my sword, fighting as hard as I can to give Nathan as much time as he needs to take out his mark. Clearly, I don't have a lot of experience with close combat, as I nearly dodge several blades, luckily only ending up with shallow cuts.

Suddenly, I can hear Nathan cry out, seeing him fall down the stairs, a red stain growing on his ripped blouse, while on the ground beneath him a small pool of blood starts to form. The sight alone is enough to make me nauseous. Without consciously noticing, I attack the man I was fighting harder, eventually stabbing him in the side before I rush over to Nathan.