The Doctors of Terror

Anna

I don't want to go. Mom looked as scared as I did. Maybe that's a good thing. I feel less alone in the feeling. I slowly took my belt off and opened the door, Mom getting out in sync. I grabbed her hand as I walked over. I know I'm 14, but sometimes I still need my mom. The sliding doors opened into a wide waiting room with leather along the wall all the way around the room, with six leather chairs back-to-back in the centre. We walk to the reception, and I look up at mom, waiting for her to talk for me.

"Hi, I have an appointment for my daughter Anna Warren."

"Oh yes, just fill out this form for me and Anna you can take a seat if you like." I smiled, trying to be polite, but there was no way I was sitting down without mom. I tried to work out what mom was actually filling out, but I couldn't; my brain was too busy with fear. I felt my heart beginning to race as mom handed the form back to the lady. I felt really lightheaded.

Lorraine

At least, thanks to the recent cases, we can afford health care this time instead of going into debt again. I held Anna's hand as we walked over to the seats.

"My goodness your hand feels boiling Sweetie are you feeling okay?" I placed my head on her forehead. "Your burning up. How do you feel?"

"I feel really sick, and my heart feels really fast."

"Your okay shall we go to the toilet?"

"Yes please." I got up and quickly told reception just in case the doctor came in looking for us. I grabbed Anna's hand and pulled her into the toilet to make sure we got there on time, just in case. She sat on the floor with her head over the toilet. I stood by her side, holding back her lovely brown hair. I rubbed her back to try and get anything out if something was unsettling her stomach. Finally, she sat back and placed her head on the wall. As I slowly sat down by her side as I put my arms around her.

"You're alright now Sweetie I've got you." She began to breathe really heavy as she does in her sleep. I didn't know what to do; I need Ed. "Anna honey look at me, okay we are fine, I promise you are safe with me alright. Shh. It's alright baby." I rocked her slowly as she started taking deep breathes. I began to hum Elvis again. This time it was (You're The) Devil in Disguise. I am not sure whether Anna actually knows the song, but 'look like an angel' was all that came into my mind when I was looking at her. There was a knock at the door. "Just a minute."

"Excuse me Mam I am looking for Anna Warren?"

"Yeah we are in here. Just give us a few minutes and we will be with you. Come on honey, it's all going to be alright I promise I won't ever leave you okay."

Anna

I knew this wasn't going to end. I felt so exhausted, though, every possible bad emotion you can think of, I felt it. I stood up with mum, slowly I guess she was worried I might fall back to the floor. I still felt really hot and overwhelmed, but I knew it wasn't going to get any better sitting in here. I have to go into that room and get on with it. I felt so unsteady on my feet. I felt like I could collapse any moment now. My body shook as we approached the doctor's room. Mom turned around.