Just keep Breathing

Lorraine continued... 

Around half an hour later, they took her out in the bed, pulling all the machines along with her. I felt helpless; my little girl needed me, and I couldn't help her. I grabbed her hand for as long as the doctors let me. I stood outside of the scan room and watched the nurses move her lifeless body from one bed to another. I felt so alone. I want my little girl back in my arms where I can keep her safe. Ed came up behind me, grabbing my waist and kissing my cheek. "Come on Hun she will be ok, she is at the right place."

"But Ed she is our baby girl, I am here mother. I want to hold my little girl. She needs me."

"And she has got you. She is one of the strongest little girls I know, just like her mom. Come on Lorraine lets go back to her room."

"No I'm not letting her out of my sight."

"Ok then, well Judy is snoozing in the chair, so I will go back and make sure she is alright. Are you ok?"

"Oh Ed." The tears escaped from my eyes again as I grabbed him tightly, crying onto his shoulder. I didn't know what to do with myself. I needed to protect Anna, but Judy needs me to. No, I have to stay with Anna; something bad might happen if I leave her alone.

"Shh Lorraine she is alright. Hun don't worry." He pulled me in as close as possible as he kissed my forehead; he moved away slightly, bringing his hands up to my face and wiping the tears from my cheeks. "I love you Lorraine." As I let go, he smiled and walked back down the corridor to our room. I felt almost like I was in a hole that I couldn't escape. Ed was trying to make me feel better, but the only thing that will make that happen is if my little girl is back home with us and everything is back to normal. The nurses began moving her back over to the other bed and dragging it out of the scan room. I grabbed Anna's hand as we were lead back to our room. All the machines back in their places. Judy stood up and placed her arms around Ed. I could see the tears running down her face.

Anna

"Mom..." Judy stood up at the right of me, as did Dad. Mom was laid on my left up against me with her head. Dad walked over to her and shook her gently.

"Lorraine."

"Yes." He pointed in my direction as Mom saw my eyes open.

"Oh sweetie." She threw her arms around me as she held me tight. "How are you feeling?"

"Really sleepy."

"Ed go just get the nurses and tell them she is awake." I felt warm from her love but freezing cold under these small sheets. "Your alright sweetie, your safe Mommy's here."

"Mom I'm cold."

"Alright sweetie we will get you some warmer bedding in a second okay." She put her hand softly on my head as she moved my hair from my face. I let out the weakest smile I could. She bent down and kissed my cheek, continuing to move her hand on my forehead. She sat on the bed slowly at the side of me, holding my hand. "Please don't ever frighten me like that again. I was so worried Anna."

"I'm sorry Mom."

"I'm sorry too."

"Why?"

"Because I didn't know how stressed and upset you were at the doctors I pushed you too far it's all my fault."

"Mom it's not your fault." Dad walked back in with a huge smile on his face. The nurse close behind him.

"Ok we are going to take the tube out of her nose now because we need her to get back to breathing on her own. So Mrs Warren and Miss Warren just step out of the way for me. Mr Warren I need you to hold Anna down just so we can get the tube out."

"Is it going to hurt?"

"Just for a moment but we need to get it out now alright."

"Dad."

"You're alright sweetie just let them get the tube out alright." Dad placed his hands on my shoulders as the nurse came right up to me. I felt locked in place. I couldn't move. She began pulling it out really fast.

"Mom it hurts." I screamed as loud as I could. Then I couldn't breathe while I came up my throat. When the nurse finally got it out, I was coughing, but then I started coughing up blood. "Mommy." The nurse stepped back as Dad put his arms around me. Mom wiped her eyes as she came back over with a tissue in hand for me.

"Well done Anna, Mr and Mrs Warren can I have a quick word." They both looked at each other in fear which made me feel really nervous.