sixteen

Joe had ordered pizza's for dinner, and we ate in front of the TV whilst watching The Walking Dead. Sergio kept joking that I wasn't old enough to watch it and after I had flipped him of around eighteen times Mason finally asked him to 'shut it'. Aiden and Serg had left at 7 o'clock because they had to meet up with some friends before the party. As they had put three six-packs of beer in their trunk Joe had wacked both of them in the back of the head, just for good measure. He didn't want them driving drunk. A tad hypocritical, but I didn't say a thing. And then destiny decided to reward me...

I heard the doorbell go off, and Mason paused our game as Joe went to check the door.

"Nooo, what the fuck," I mumbled and tossed the controller in the couch. Mason slapped the back of my head but didn't say anything. I heard mumbled voices from the hallway and Mason started listening as well. Joe entered the living room with a man I hadn't seen before. He was big. Way bigger than Joe and Mason, which I rarely saw. Then he had tattoos, and a lot of them. They covered every inch of his body - the parts I could see at least. Also his face. But that wasn't what my eyes landed on. No, the gun in his belt was the part that caught my interest. I couldn't say I was shocked. And definitely not scared. Joe would never let a man with a gun that he didn't trust, into his house with his 'baby brother' sitting in the living room. But it just... it made me know that something was up.

"Alec, scram," Joe said and cocked his head towards the stairs. That definitely knocked home my suspicion.

"Why, what's up?" I asked curiously, but also slightly offended that they just got rid of me when danger called. Tattoo guy let out a sound that I could only interpret as amusement.

"Alec..." Mason warned.

"Oh come on guys, you never let me have any fun," I sulked and leaned back into the couch. At that Tattoo guy and Mason both started laughing and even Joe smirked a little bit. 

"Alexander, if it's fun you want we'll take you to an amusement park next weekend. We are not going out to have fun, this is work. Now go up to your room, and don't leave before we tell you otherwise." I could hear in Joe's tone that he meant business and that his decision was final.

"Work my ass," I mumbled as I walked away.

"He's a stubborn one, that kid," Tattoo guy said as I was up the stairs. "I'm sure he'll be a good  asset for Garcia Infierno one day."

"Let's hope not." Joe's voice was quiet. Almost sad.

***

 I was starting to get nervous, wondering if I could pull this off. Could I really succeed with sneaking out?

Joe opened my door without knocking.

"We're leaving, Mason and I, and Alec you gotta promise me that you don't leave," he said as he leaned against the door frame. He had a worried look on his face.

"Where are you going?" I asked carefully, not wanting him to think I was sticking my nose in their business.

"Other end of town, we probably won't be home for a while."

"How long?" I hoped it was long enough.

"Alec, this isn't just about you being grounded anymore." He came over and crouched in front of me, as if I were some kid. "Tonight is not for fun, Alec. Tonight is business. Business business. Not the fun kind. And we don't know what it might evolve to. This could turn out bad. Real bad. People who don't deserve to get hurt, will. And over my dead body, you will be one of those people."

"What about Serg and Aiden?"  I asked, suddenly getting worried.

"They're fine, nothing will happen in those parts of town."

"Then wouldn't I be safer there?" My voice was laced with hope.

He didn't answer, just kissed my forehead as he stood back up. 

"You're not dum, Alexander. You know I'll find out." His voice wasn't threatening, which was weird. It was far more caring. Yuk. "But if you so badly wanna leave, I hope you are prepared for the consequences. So don't." He kissed my forehead once more, before leaving, and then I heard the front door lock.

There's only consequences if you find out...