Chapter 16

Corpse-Sykkuno's mom DMs:
C- Ma'am
C- I am sorry for bothering you but you wouldn't answer the calls
C- and something happened to Sykkuno
C- he was coughing up blood
C- we're in the hospital
C- come please

The first thing Sykk registered was the pain. Everything hurt, his lungs most of all. Then he felt scratchy sheets, a stiff and uncomfortable bed. He heard the rhythmic beeping of a heart monitor, and finally, his mother talking in a hushed voice, struggling through the fog of exhaustion he fought to open his eyes, blinking against the harsh fluoresent hospital lighting.

"You're awake." he heard a voice say, Sykkuno turned his head slowly to look up at his mother. And next to her stood a man in a white lab coat with a stethoscope around his neck, Sykkuno assumed it was his doctor.

"Mhmm," Sykkuno hummed, his mouth too dry to speak.

"Do you need water?"

Sykkuno nodded. His mother picked up the small plastic pitcher on the table next to him and poured it in a white paper cup. "Come on Sykkunie" she muttered as she slowly raised Sykkuno to sit on the bed, Sykkuno groaned at the sudden movement, his muscles aching.

Sykkuno's mother rubbed her son's back as she held it to his mouth, Sykkuno's hands shook as he held the cup up so the cool liquid could flow down his burning throat.

"Better?" his mom asked, her face was the picture of worry.

*No*, he thought. "Yes mom" he said hoarsely.

"How are you feeling, young man" the doctor interjected, walking closer to Sykkuno's bed.

"Like shit," Sykkuno mumbled, laying back down again in hopes of being able to fall asleep, but he was interrupted by her mother.

"Sykkuno! Please don't speak that way to your doctor!," his mom turned towards the doctor in embarassment. "I'm so sorry."

"It's quite alright, with everything he went through I think he's allowed a pass." the doctor nodded, "Mrs would you like to continue the talk outside or would you like me to continue in front of your son?"

"Continue," Sykkuno spoke out not because he wanted to know what was wrong with him - he already knew what was wrong with him and it had a first and last name. Sykkuno was only curious about what the doctor would say.

"Well," the doctor started, "We aren't completely sure, but every symptom points to pneumonia. Again, we aren't sure because we have yet to take any real tests, but I noticed you're having difficulty breathing and as your mom told me, you have been coughing for a while which may have been walking pneumonia that caused hemoptysis, which is the coughing up blood.. soon we will take the tests, Mrs, why don't we go out and talk about the tests we have to take and treatments if he gets it".

"Yes sir" Sykkuno's mom nodded before kissing her son quickly on the cheek. She went to walk out before stopping "Sykkunie?".

"Yes mom"

"Corpse is outside in the waiting room, he slept there last night. Would it be alright if I told him to enter?" she asked Sykkuno before turning to the doctor "would it be alright for him to be in the same room as him?"

"As long as he doesn't cough on him, share a cup with him or kiss him, he will be safe"

"You heard him... Can I tell him to come in Sykkunie?.. He's been here as long as you" she repeated in hopes of convincing her son.

Sykkuno thought about it for a few seconds, his heart and head fighting on whether he really wanted to see him right now, whether he wanted to talk to him after everything, whether or not they were even okay but like always, when it came to Corpse, his heart won. "Let him in.."