Disconsolate Conversations

Midoriya's POV

I knew I shouldn't have, but I did it anyway.

After Shouto went missing, Aizawa Sensei – being the amazing teacher he was – stood up for me and stole me away from the school before leaving me at Kacchan's house. The detective and hero agencies were strongly against my wish to reside with the Bakugous' since apparently I now had a huge amount of suspicion on myself, which was wrongfully placed on me and frustrating, since I literally did nothing, and yet they were acting like vicious vultures sinking their talons into whatever flesh they could find. And so, I guess I was their first target.

It's not that I don't understand, because I do, and I know that the whole situation with Dabi is worrisome and causing anxiety among the hero agencies, but sometimes stress can blind you, and can cause you to make irrational decisions without actually thinking things through. So, even though I wanted to hold a grudge against the people that are finding me unreliable and suspicious, I couldn't find it in myself to, and I ended up having to push it to the back of my mind.

Kacchan and his parents were happy to allow me to stay with them for a few days, and I was both feeling guilty and glad when my Mum told me it was okay for me to stay with them since she was working a lot of hours for the next few days. I told myself that I would message her and call her often to make sure she was well, and to keep her company within the chaos that this week has been.

Even though I dislike The League of Villains strongly, I haven't actually met Dabi except for a solid five seconds when Kacchan was being kidnapped from the training camp attack. Despite the scary threat he was to Kacchan at the time, and how he could have so easily killed all of us, he didn't, and there wasn't a single burn on Kacchan's body. Even though he's scary, Dabi hasn't actually seriously hurt any of the students of UA, which was a promising lead that could mean he wasn't so bad as I thought.

And then I was told he was Shouto's older brother.

Instantly, it all seemed to click, and Dabi's actions began to make a lot more sense to me. Dabi didn't hurt children, and he refrained from hurting innocent adults as much as possible while they weren't a threat. This, of course, gave an obvious clue about his mental state.

Toya Todoroki was traumatized.

All his childhood, he was pushed and beaten in order to reach Endeavour's impossible standards, which must have lead to him sustaining way too many injuries to count, as well as forming his dislike to heroes, and people who were supposed to be the image of justice. And when Shouto's quirk burned him when he stopped taking the quirk suppressants, it was easy to put two and two together, and the burn scars all over Dabi's thin body showed just how bad his childhood really was. It made me feel sorry for him. Very, very sorry.

However, even though he hated his father for everything he'd done, he held a sweet spot for the rest of his family, especially Shouto. A small part of me was glad that Shouto had someone on both sides looking out for him, and when Dabi took Shouto away when he was in a time of need when nobody was going to help him, it seemed justified. And somehow, I think Aizawa Sensei thinks the same thing too.

In the end, what is good, and what is evil?

Who is right, and who is wrong?

What's black, and what's white?

In this difficult situation, a new colour merged and seeped through all the lines.

Toya Todoroki was grey, and I couldn't have been more grateful and anxiety-ridden than I already was.

But one things for sure; Shouto was in good hands, even if they are the hands of a murderer's.

With Dabi, Shouto was safe.

"Hey nerd, the shower's free."

I rolled my eyes. You can always count on Kacchan to snap you from any daydream.

"Thanks, Kacchan. I'll take one later, though." I replied, looking out the window.

The other teen stepped forward, and in the reflection of the window, I watched as he ran a white towel through his dripping hair before wiping his face and joining me on the edge of his bed. His added weight shifted the bed slightly, and he sighed as he placed his towel in his lap.

"What's on your mind?" he asked in a gentle voice, and my eyes almost teared at how soft and caring he sounded. I needed that care and tenderness right now.

I sighed and shook my head, taking my attention away from the window and towards Kacchan's ruby eyes. "Everything, and nothing," I mumbled, looking past his shoulder to a blue beanie that was sitting on the dresser. My heart squeezed when I recognised it as Shouto's. "I'm just exhausted, and I'm scared, Kacchan. I'm scared that Shouto isn't okay."

The older teen, seeming hesitant for a second, lifted his hand and lightly placed it on my shoulder. Even though the thick fabric of my sweater, I could feel the heat from his post-shower skin.

"I get it, Izuku, I really do," he began, his other hand fiddling with the towel slightly. "This whole situation is – excuse my language – absolutely fucked up. Shouto shouldn't be hurt and missing right now, and you shouldn't be viewed as a possible accomplice to The League of Villains. Seriously, in my point of view, everyone just needs to back the fuck up and actually view the whole picture of what's going down," he took a breath, and lifted his hand from my shoulder to run it through his tangled hair. "Dabi won't hurt Shouto, so at least we know Shouto is getting some kind of assistance. Right now, though, I'm more worried about what The League will do when they find out."

I silently nodded, not because I had nothing to do or say to agree with him, but because Kacchan was angry. He was angry, and for the first time, it was actually aimed towards most of Japan's biggest hero agencies, even though he was striving to be the worlds number one hero one day. And so I nodded, also to agree with what he was saying, but to agree with his anger too.

And for a moment, I shocked myself.

I was angry.

The realisation caused me to blink, and guilt and disapproval over my emotions quickly set in, because I can't be angry. The agencies were just doing what they thought was right. They didn't know.

"I-I think I'll take a shower now," I said, standing with my face pointed to the ground. "Don't wait up for me."

Kacchan made his way to stand. "Izu –."

I raised a hand. "It's okay, Kacchan. I'm just tired and I want to sleep as soon as possible. I'll feel better after some relief."

The worried blonde could do nothing but nod, and without a spare glance, I slipped into the bathroom across the hall from Kacchan's room.

If Kacchan noticed the new angry red lines on my arms when I left the shower, he didn't comment on it.

I hope you enjoyed, and that those of you in the Northern Hemisphere are having a nice summer! For those in the Southern Hemisphere, like me, rug up! Winter's cold :)

Please vote and comment!