Chapter 93

Chapter 93

It was four in the morning when the wards in Jasmine's office went off, startling her awake with a gasp. She jolted up, the blanket pooling around her waist, she rubbed her temples and groaned. She was going to have a hell of a migraine after this.

"Go back to sleep," Sirius groaned, there was a pillow over his face as he blindly patted Jasmine's leg in a vain effort to get her to lay back down.

"Someone is in my office."

"It's the middle of the night!" He hissed, as he sat up, and rubbed the sleep from his eyes. It was closer to morning than the middle of the night, but Jasmine wasn't going to disagree. Neither of them were necessarily morning people by nature, even if their jobs demanded early mornings. Any sleep they could get was precious.

Jasmine summoned her dressing robe with a wave her hand from her closet, put on her discarded pajamas and cast few wandless freshening charms to make herself slightly more presentable. This had better be an emergency from Gringotts, and not just some pushing client with a lot of money. The wards pulsed again and Jasmine winced. If she didn't go down and entertain her client, she could be out of a job. She was going to be horrifically tired going into work tomorrow. Maybe she would just work from home.

She ran a hand through Sirius' hair. "Go back to sleep. I'll be in the office. You know the signal if something goes wrong during the meeting."

Sirius mumbled something as he flopped back onto the bed and buried his face into his pillow. He pulled the sheets up and the only thing that Jasmine could see as she left the room was the top of his sleep mused hair.

Jasmine yawned as she made her way down the hallways. She was flanked by Ro, who had been waiting for her outside her room. Even her cat looked exhausted as the buddle of fluff groggily trotted next to her. If this wasn't something urgent she was going to have words with the Goblins. They pay her extremely well, but being woken up at four in the morning to speak to someone about their wards without a prior appointment was pushing the limit of Jasmine's patience.

She opened the door only to want to close it again. Leaning against the wall by the fireplace was none other than Albus Dumbledore who was quietly speaking to Minerva McGonagall. Both of them were in their dressing gowns, though they both seemed unnaturally wide awake for this time of day. What were they doing in her home? Why would the Goblins send them to her in the middle of the night? Surely whatever it was could wait another four hours. They lived in the same time zone for Merlin's sake. Why did they need to meet in the dead of night?

She couldn't hear what either of them were saying, someone must have cast a muffliato. Jasmine cleared her throat before entering the room. Both turned to look at her and both seemed equally surprised to see her.

"Is there something I can help you two with? It's the four in the morning. I usually only take international appointments at odd hours."

Dumbledore looked like he swallowed something foul before he gave his classic grandfatherly smile, his eyes twinkling. "I was under the assumption we had been sent to the ward master of Gringotts' residence. I thought that was Celeste or Simon."

Jasmine crossed her arms. Only one sentence out of his mouth and she already wanted to draw her wand. "Celeste and Simon retired nearly two years ago. Celeste finally lost all vision in both eyes and Simon couldn't bear to continue their lives' passion without her. Occasionally, they will assist me with some consulting work if I have questions, but for all intent and purposes, I am the ward and rune master of Gringotts. How can I help you?"