Chapter 23

Happy Friday! Enjoy!

Chapter 23

It wasn't until the last week in October that anything interesting occurred. Of course, it all happened on Halloween, everything bad always happened on the thirty-first. Jasmine swore that she had to be cursed. Well, she was already cursed by Death, but she supposed that Fate more than likely had a hand in the misfortunes in her life as well...

Everything had been normal, one could even say that the day started out great. Jasmine had finally received letter of thanks from both the Prince family and the Black family. Lord Prince's letter was a formal acknowledgement that he owed the House of Peverell a large favor, which she could use whenever she found convenient. Lord Black's letter was somewhat unexpected. She expected some kind of acknowledgement from the Black family eventually. She figured it was going to come from Sirius, never from Lord Black himself. It was dropped off by the Potter family owl, so she knew it wasn't cursed. Euphemia always made sure her mail was free of anything dangerous. The letter was written in a neat, unfamiliar, cursive:

Heir Jasmine Peverell of the Ancient and Noble House of Peverell,

I thank you for bringing my errant heir back to his senses. It has been sometime since our family has needed a neutral house to assist in personal matters, but your service will not be forgotten. The Peverell line is just as old as the Black family and we welcome you back to your homeland after nearly fifty years away.

Sirius, of course, had conditions to reestablishing his link to us and conditions for contacting you. He wouldn't be a Black if he didn't know how to negotiate the best possible deal. One of these conditions was to respect your house's neutrality as a grey family and avoid any desire to turn you to a darker way of thinking.

It was an interesting condition, one that was out of the question, regardless. He obviously respects your stance as a neutral family and your ability to walk the line between light and dark. I see no reason to upset a family that has maintained its neutral status since its inception centuries ago.

The other conditions, you can discuss with my heir.

My youngest has only spoken in your favor, claiming you are a snake in lions clothing, I hope to see this attitude in the coming months. The Most Noble and Ancient House of Black owes you a debt that we will repay, in full.

Best Regards,

Lord Black

Sirius had contacted his father after all and it seems that things hadn't blown up in his face. Honestly, Sirius seemed happier these past few days. Maybe being the heir his father wanted would make Sirius a slightly less hostile person if he wasn't under the impression that his entire family hated him. If anything, he'd at least be able to help her pass laws in the future. Between her, James and Sirius, they'd be taking Wizarding Britain by storm in a few years.

"What's got you so happy this early in the morning?" Marlene asked from across the table. Jasmine looked up from her reading.

"Oh, just some new business arrangements and family alliances that are falling into place," Jasmine replied coyly. She didn't want her private affairs going around the Hogwarts rumor mills. No doubt the Slytherins had seen at least one of the House Seals that were on the some of her letters. Jasmine would purposefully show family crests of those that she knew owed her money for those family to see. She liked making them sweat, but Jasmine didn't want anyone knowing about her tenuous alliance with the Black House, not until the timing was just right.