4. We'll stick together

Kaito greeted Shuichi's uncle who seemed worried.

"Oh Kaito. I'm glad you're here. Do you know what's up Shuichi? He would not leave his room ever since yesterday...and he's not eating anything. I tried to talk to him but...I don't know. Maybe you'll have a better chance. I've got a case to work on, but if needed you're welcomed to stay the night, I don't mind at all. Just please tell me if you get an answer out of him.."

Kaito nodded already knowing why Shuichi was upset. So his uncle left him, and Kaito headed over to Shuichi's room knocking first.

Nothing.

"Shuichi...?"

Nothing.

"Shuichi it's alright...come on man...can you please let me help..?"

Nothing.

For a moment Kaito almost gave up before he heard a click and Shuichi slowly opened his door. When Kaito saw him he already knew the boy was a mess. His hair certainly had better days, his eyes were puffy, most likely from lots of crying, and the bags under his eyes suggested he had not been getting the sleep he needed.

"Oh Shuichi.."

"How could I been s-so stupid..? I-I'm a detective. A-And I couldn't e-even f-figure that...o-out." He said as he started crying for what felt like 100th time that day.

Kaito didn't hesitate to hug him. And Shuichi hugged him tightly as he cried in his chest. Slowly Kaito walked them into his room, and closed the door, before letting go of Shuichi and instead offering a spot on the bed with him.

Shuichi sat down next to Kaito hugging his knees and wiping away his tears.

"He's dating someone else...he intruppted me...and told me he was with someone else. And I couldn't even figured that out. I-I should've figured it out b-but I didn't! A-and I made myself l-look like a fool..." Shuichi said quietly a few tears falling but not as much as just a few seconds ago.

"Hey...it's not your fault! They were keeping it a secret right...of course you didn't know. You can't find out every secret, and that's oka-"

"Yes that's okay but it was so damn obvious. Kokichi and him have been closer recently,Kokichi asked me for help to ask him out. He asked me! And I couldn't figure it out. I don't even deserve this stupid talent, or to like him, I don't deserve anything...I'm just a failure."

"....okay. You wanna talk about how obvious it was, then listen to this. You know what she told me? She just saw me like a brother."

Shuichi looked over at a Kaito, and although he was smiling, he knew it was forced.

"I'm sorry Kaito-"

"Don't be...it's not you're fault...I should've known. Anyway...doesn't that make you feel better? I couldn't see the obvious. Ah I shouldn't assume it suddenly helps..."

"Don't worry about it...and it does a little...guess we were both too blinded then huh..?" Shuichi said as Kaito's smile went away, a slight frown replacing it.

"Yea..."

"....um...K-Kaito...you said a-awhile ago. I could r-rely on you n-no matter what...Umm...you'll make sure...I-I'm okay...right? A-And I-I'll do the same.."

"Of course. We can...go through this together. I'm sure I speak for both of us when I say we're heartbroken. So...while we wait for someone else to heal it...we'll stick together. Got that sidekick?"

Shuichi nodded giving a small smile to Kaito, before yawning, and closing his eyes. He fell asleep and slowly fell to his side, which was Kaito's shoulder really. He didn't mind. He was just his friend after all, so he let him sleep there, deciding to get some sleep from the few hours he missed last night.

~

When Shuichi woke up be instantly smelled the nice scent of his favorite soup. Seeing the bowl on his dresser he saw a note attached.

Kaito told me you're doing better and I'm glad. I made your favorite, and I really hope you eat soon. Kaito's going to stay with you, I'm out for a job and I won't be back for another 2 days. Hope you're okay when I come back :)

Shuichi smiled at the note before putting it back down. He grabbed a spoonful of the soup and gladly ate it, making his empty stomach feel much better then earlier. Just as he swallowed he saw Kaito walk in his room.

"Oh Shuichi! You're awake now! You were out for a while haha!"

"Yea...what were you doing?"

"I was putting away the soup, it's in the fridge so if you want more, tell me and I'll warm it up!" Kaito said as Shuichi nodded eating another bite of his soup. It was the best.

"Hey Shuichi, I noticed the mirror in your bathroom....it had...lots of writing..."

Shuichi's face dropped a bit, remembering all the things he wrote in a fit of rage and sadness.

Unworthy, Dumb, Stupid, Cluesless, Useless, Nothing, Not Important...
A detective who couldn't solve the most obvious case.
Someone who deserves nothing.
An idiot who thought he was a good person.
Someone that should've never existed-

"Shuichi!! Listen!!"

Shuichi snapped back looking at Kaito's smile.
"I think you're awesome okay? So you should too!"

Even if it wasn't much, just 9 words, Shuichi smiled at Kaito.
"Thank you."

"So anyway...I cleaned it up for you! You wanna go see? I know you do let's go!" Kaito said not waiting for answer before grabbing Shuichi's hand and dragging him out of his bed. Shuichi stumbled a bit before Kaito lightly pushed him in his bathroom.

Looking at the mirror he couldn't help but smile. The mirror was almost completely covered with small compliments, big ones, little doodles, and big doodles, only leaving empty a spot where Shuichi stood in the middle.

Shuichi saw a doodle of him and Kaito together stargazing, and another doodle of him being cheered on by his classmates. There was another doodle with Shuichi and a small file with a lightbulb on top of his head.

Then the compliments. There were so much.

The best detective ever
Cool guy.
If you need someone to help you, this is the guy!
Lookin good~

And written in big letters....

A good person!

"K-Kaito..." Shuichi stutterd out hugging him. Kaito was surprised but of course hugged him back.