5. I should just...forget it...

Kaito left Shuichi alone for a bit to get a change of clothes, for tonight and tomorrow morning. So he finished eating his soup, and picked up his room so it wasn't so messy. On his desk he noticed a few papers. Taking a closer look, he noticed it was work from school.

Kaito must've brought it...I guess since there's nothing else to do...

Picking up the papers and grabbing his headphones he sat on his bed and put on his headphones. As he unlocked his phone he noticed a few messages from his classmates concerned about him. While responding quickly he noticed one of Kokichi's posts.

Theres only one person I will tell the truth to and you'll never know who!

"Amami..." Shuichi said frowning, before he shook his head closing the app.
"I should just...forget it...at least he's happy...that's all that matters..." he said before starting his music and working on the school work.

He focused on his work and just as he finished Kaito burst in his room.
"IM BACK!!"

"I noticed."

"Hey Shuichi...you'll be okay! I promise you! I'll be your hero! So if you feel upset-"

"What about you Kaito..?"

Kaito stopped at the question Shuichi asked with a concerned face. Kaito just laughed before he let his smile turn into a small frown.

"I-I was just thinking...you've been comforting me...but...you mentioned she didn't accept right? I want to help you. You don't always have to be the hero. Alright?" Shuichi said as Kaito sat down next to him.

Kaito struggled to find words, he would open his mouth to say something, but close it when nothing came out. Shuichi just waited patiently before Kaito was finally able to talk.

"I-I don't know man...she was like my whole world...I really really loved her...and since I was young I dreamed of finding someone exactly like her...and then to hear I was more like a brother...it...it hurts." Kaito said a few tears falling before he quickly wiped them away.

Shuichi looked as his best friend had to hide himself. So he slowly put his hand on his back and rubbed circles on his back.

"Hey...it's alright...you'll find someone else...and you'll be with the girl of your dreams. For now though...it's gonna hurt...and that's alright. You don't always have to be happy Kaito okay? It's okay to cry. So...cry all you need to alright?"

Kaito looked at Shuichi with teary eyes before he quickly pulled Shuichi closer to him and cried in his chest. Eventually Kaito calmed down and he drifted off to sleep.

Shuichi looked as Kaito slept peacefully, and for a moment, he completely forgot about Kokichi.

~

When the two woke up, they got ready for school and headed out together.
"Oh right...you went to school yesterday right..? How was it..?"

"We agreed to stay friends...it's a little awkward...but I think it'll go back to normal soon...anyway...other then forcing out jokes...yesterday was okay."

"Do you...think Ouma will say anything? It's not like we were super close like you and Maki were..."

"I think that if he comes up to you, just don't bring it up unless he does. Alright? And remember if you need me I'm here!"

"Right...t-thank you Kaito. And the same goes for you." Kaito nodded with a smile.

"Oh there's Maki...hey Maki!"

He didn't call her Makiroll.

"Oh. There you are Shuichi. What was up with you?" She asked as the three walked together.