Chapter 1

"This coffee is absolutely disgusting, have you people no shame?"

You were standing behind the counter of a little cafe in downtown Tokyo, listening to a cranky old man give you a lecture on a cup of coffee you didn't even make.

"Apologies sir, however you already drank the whole cup so I am unable to give you a refund." You said in the politest voice you could muster.

"Like h*ll! I'm already planning on writing an awful review, at least try to take responsibility by giving me a refund and I'll consider giving two stars to this dump." He seethed at you.

"Oh no! A bad review? Whatever shall I do?" You rolled your eyes at him. "Get outta here you old geezer. Go bother another small business about useless sh*t, it's not my fault you're a retired old perv with nothing better to do than harass employees who just want to make a living."

He scowled but left the shop mumbling something along the lines of "D*mn millennials."

A few of your fellow employees whistled and began to clap happy to see justice served to a rude customer for once. You bowed to them giving a little "Thank you, thank you."

The cheering stopped, however, when your manager came out and asked to speak with you.

"I didn't get paid enough to put up with peoples' crap anyway." You said packing up your stuff from the back.

"I can't believe you just got fired! Because of that grumpy old b*tch nonetheless!" One of your coworkers said referring to the rude customer.

"What are you going to do now, (Y/N)? There aren't many job offerings in the area. Oh! But if you do find somewhere please tell me, I need to get out of this place before I lose my mind."

"Uhh, I dunno. Maybe become a stripper?" You answered her question with a smirk.

"I really hope you're joking." She chuckled a bit, leaving to get back to work. "Let's keep in touch, okay?"

You nodded, putting the rest of your stuff into your bag and leaving once and for all.

'It sucks to be me~ it sucks to be me~" you hummed a bit, singing in your head as you exited the restaurant and began walking down the street.

'It sucks to be broke and unemployed and turning...uh...26? No that doesn't rhyme."

"H-hey! (Y/N)!" You heard the bell from the cafe ring telling you someone was coming after you.

"Oh, hey Takemitchy." You smiled at your friend you had known since middle school. Sure, you both turned out to be broke and depressed, but what's that when you have the power of ✨friendship✨?

"Did you just get fired for what you said to that customer? I saw your manager come to talk to you after that incident and then you leaving..." He looked a bit concerned.

"Yup! Sorry you had to see that, I didn't know you were in there. Speaking of which, aren't you supposed to be at work right now?" You asked.

"I just got fired too."

You both laughed a bit at your situation.

"Wanna go get some Dorayaki? On me of course." You offered him as the two of you made your way to the bullet trains.

"(Y/N) neither of us have any money, and now neither of us have a job."

"Takemitchy, that's exactly why we need to celebrate! Now we're free from our sh*tty jobs!" You smiled, putting your arm around his shoulder.

He smiled too, but as quickly as it appeared it was gone. "I'm sorry, I'd love to, it's just that..." he trailed off.

"Hm? What's wrong?"

"Remember Hinata? The girl I dated back in middle school?"

"Kind of. I remember you bragging about having a girlfriend when I joined Toman."

"Haha yeah, I was a little jealous about that. But I was watching the news this morning and apparently she was killed in an accident..." He looked down in solemn.

"Sh*t- I'm sorry to hear that man." You sighed. "But that's another reason we gotta do this!"

He looked at you surprised.

"Our lives are f*cking awful, yeah, but that's more reason to enjoy what we can, Takemitchy." You ruffled his hair. "So now, we're gonna go get drunk and eat dorayaki till we puke, alright?"

His only response was tears.

"Oh- f*ck not again!" You yelled watching him wipe his eyes.

"(Y/N)!" He hugged, well, more accurately put a death grip on you. "What would I do without you?" He sobbed, making you unsure of whether to be disgusted or grateful.

"Quit being such a cry baby!

You heard the train approaching.

"Watch out!" You heard someone yell as a force pushed Takemichi, resulting in both of you falling onto the track. You were only able to look up for a brief second, the only thing you having time to process being the trains blinding lights before everything went black.