Chapter 28: Phantom

???'s POV:

Hyewon-ah, if our meeting could be described in a single word, then I suppose inevitable would be the closest one.

I'm not one who believes in coincidences, because all things have a certain meaning as to why they occur.

Thus, I can tell you without a doubt that our encounter that day sparked the beginning of our beautiful friendship together.

Back then, I was but a lone soul, forced to watch over the people around me as none of them can figure out that someone like me does exist.

Yes, I was nothing more than a sheltered being, and I knew then and there that my fate as guardian of that very bridge you cross everyday will always cause me to feel nothing but emptiness.

However, the saddest thing is that as time passed, the number of people who believed that a being like me exists in this world had started to dwindle.

It came to a point when only your grandmother is the only one who believes that I'm here, and that I remember her always telling you many stories about my kind.

But the truth is, I was the last one that remained, as all who came before me had all but vanished, having found a meaning to their existence, unlike me.

Before she passed on, she wanted for you not to forget the knowledge she imparted before she passed on, which I'm grateful for.

That is why I exist even today, as there is still someone like you who knows me.

I will always remember the day when you and I saw each other for the first time.

You were wandering so freely during an ordinary day, as you were returning from school with a bright smile in your face.

I was there, floating by the bridge, looking over the horizon without a care in the world.

But then, you called me, asking me in the most innocent way possible as to how I was able to fly like a bird.

Of course, since you were still young at that time, I felt amused by you, and so I answered your question in a way that you would understand.

When I did, you gave me a heartwarming smile, which made me happy.

I never thought that would be the beginning of a beautiful friendship between the two of us.

Since that day, you made it a habit to visit me whenever you can, which I gladly appreciate.

Before you go home, you made time to talk to me, asking me all sorts of questions about anything, as well as playing games that we both enjoyed together.

During those days, I felt like a child again, and I will forever cherish those simple moments for as long as I'm here in this world.

Never had I thought that even a being like myself would enjoy life's simple pleasures the way you did, and for that I'm forever grateful.