Ch. 4: A Bet

A/n: I suck at explaining things so uh yeah, sorry. I also kinda made it so Y/n is a middle blocker and setter so she can play with Kenma and be able to teach or learn from him I guess??? My logic here makes absolutely no sense but yk.

   The first set went fairly quickly with Kuroo's team taking the lead by just a few points. Though, that was planned by the other team for the most part. The second set started off normal but about 15 points in there was a shift in atmosphere, Oikawa's team seemed to have some kind of unspoken agreement to switch their playing style which would have gone unnoticed if it weren't for the observant setter on the other side of the net.

   What didn't go unnoticed was the hand sign the girl had made before the next serve was thrown. The same one they'd been using every time she'd asked Oikawa to send the ball to her. Only this time, that wasn't their plan.

   When Iwaizumi received the ball and it looked as though Oikawa was going to set it, Y/n jumped in first and set the ball back to Oikawa who used the other team's confusion to win them the second set.  

   Hinata came running up to the girl speaking incoherent sentences. "Calm down, Hinata. It wasn't all that amazing." She looked away trying to hide her flushed face.

   "How did you know to do that? You used the same hand signal you've been using the whole time." Kuroo was also kind of amazed by the play.

   "I actually don't use hand signals at all." The opposing team looked at her confused, "Not with Oikawa at least... We pretty much communicate through eye contact, looking at a persons eyes can tell you a lot about what they're thinking."

   "So you're a lot like Kenma, only you focus on reading your own team a bit more than your opponents."

   "You're interesting..." Kenma accidentally said out loud. When they realized what he said the two turned away embarrassed while Kuroo laughed like the scene playing out in front of him was the funniest thing he'd ever seen.

   Oikawa also started laughing a bit at the girls reaction before he was hit with a volleyball to the head. "Stop flirting, let's start the third set."

   The third set lasted the longest and everyone was exhausted, with the exception of Hinata who they all swore had an endless supply of energy. Despite how tired they were, Oikawa's team took the set and ended the game.

   "We still have about twenty minutes left before the practice matches start." The (h/c) haired girl spoke. "We can just sit here and wait if that's alright."

   They all nod in agreement before taking a seat on the benches. "Hey, Y/n-san! Can you set for me?!" To no surprise, the girl looked to see Hinata, energetic as always.

   "What kind of toss do you like?"

   "Really!? You can probably tell from our game that I'm not great at hitting a normal set, usually Kageyama sends the ball to me so I want to try to hit someone else's!"

   "Alright, I can try my best to send it as fast as Kageyama's... But I'm not as accurate."

   The tangerine ran towards the net waiting for the girl to follow. When they got into position she could feel eyes on her but decided to ignore it, not wanting to disappoint Hinata with a bad toss. When the ball was tossed to her, she tried to be as quick as possible but he still missed it. "Sorry..." It wasn't because it was too slow, the set was actually just a little too fast for Hinata to get.

   "Don't say sorry, that was so cool!" Even though he missed the ball he was still excited. "One more time, please? Just like that one!" The rest of the group watched as another quick toss was made and Hinata just barely hit it with the tips of his fingers, which she again apologized for.

   "I didn't know she could set like that." Iwaizumi trailed off.

   "I didn't either." The other captain looked over at Oikawa, still at a loss for words. His friend was also at a loss for words, but he couldn't seem to break his gaze from the manager who was now being asked for yet another toss.

   "We should get going now." She tried to gently decline Hinata's request. "You shouldn't waste all of your energy before a real match even starts."

   Kenma was once again snapped out of his thoughts by a certain rooster. "If you don't stop staring you're gonna scare her." Even more annoyingly, the other captain overheard his teasing.

   "Oh? You like Y/n-chan?" He snickered before getting a bit more serious. "Tell you what, we have a match later today, right? If you guys win I'll try to set something up for you."

   "Why? What do you get if we lose?" Kenma eyed him suspiciously.

   "Cause she's not great when it comes to making friends and you seem to have a few things in common. As for you losing, we can figure that out after we win."

   "Alright, fine." Was the last thing Kenma said before they saw the girl approach them and tell them that they had to go to their first practice matches.