Ch. 6: Confession? Kinda?

Kenma was nervously making his way to the dining hall for breakfast with his team, he didn't think anything through for practice with Y/n... 'Will we be practicing with everyone else again? Is it just going to be us? What if she doesn't like my toss?' A million thoughts ran through the boys head as he sat down next to Kuroo who gave him a worried look. 

   "Don't overthink it, Kenma. You'll be fine." He tried to reassure his panicked friend.

   The three managers started handing out plates and food to the teams before sitting down to eat themselves. Y/n however, could be seen going back into the kitchen. "Where's she going?" Iwaizumi seemed to come out of nowhere.

   "She probably just went to eat somewhere by herself." Oikawa answered sounding unsure.

   A few minutes later they could see her coming to the table with a smaller plate. "I heard that you don't usually eat much, but you seemed to like the pancakes I made yesterday so I made these... You don't have to eat them if you don't want to, of course." She laid the plate in front of the bleached blonde boy and sat down across from him.

   "Thanks..." He put down his game and slowly started eating, still a bit flustered.

   "Hey, Y/n-chan~! Why does Kenma get special treatment?" Oikawa knew exactly why he was getting special treatment. She had messaged him worrying about her and Kenma practicing together and accidentally let slip that she sort of liked him.

   "Because he's not annoying, unlike someone I know." She deflected the question as best she could. "I'm gonna go eat before practice starts, meet me at the gym again." She got up and walked away.

   Kenma couldn't help but feel disappointed that he wouldn't get to practice with her alone or that maybe she forgot about his offer entirely. "She didn't forget, if that's what you're thinking." Oikawa seemed to read his mind. "Don't tell her I said anything but she was messaging me this morning all nervous about it." He let out a small laugh seeing Kenma's face light up in surprise.

   "See, Kenma? There's no need for you to worry about it. Now hurry up and eat so you can go practice." Kuroo grinned.

   Y/n was already sitting on one of the benches waiting for them when they entered the gym. Kenma didn't want to approach her too quickly and make it weird so he just followed after everyone else, hiding behind them. "You guys can start now, me and Kenma are gonna go to the other gym for a little." She half mumbled the last part and walked to the entrance. He slowly followed after her, looking back to see Kuroo and Oikawa giving them a sly look.

   "How do you like your sets?" He quietly asked her as they made their way to the gym.

   "I'm not picky, you can just toss it however you usually do and we'll go from there."

   'First she agreed to practice with me, then she made me food knowing I wouldn't eat anything else, and now she's just being really nice... but why?'

   "Kenma, do you wanna start now?" She cut off his thoughts.

   "Sure, let's start."

   Kenma got the strange feeling, almost like they were being watched, but decided to ignore it for the moment and just deal with it later. Or better yet, it would go away itself. He tossed the ball to Y/n again, she ran up and spiked it to the other side fairly easily, but it was obvious that both of them were getting tired so they agreed to a short break. "I can see why your team relies on you so much, you're so cool." Her sudden remark caught the setter off guard, almost making him choke on his water.

   "T-thanks... You're actually really cool too." He looked away again trying to avoid eye contact, she was pretty good at reading people, after all. They both sat in silence for a minute until he got a bit brave. "Hey, Y/n? How'd you get into volleyball?"

   "Oh, um, I met Tooru in my first year of middle school and he kind of forced me into it." She laughed a little. "How about you, Kenma?"

   "Kuroo more or less forced me into it too."

   "Ah, so we were both adopted by extroverts." He gave her a confused look, hinting at her to elaborate. "An introvert meets an extrovert and that extrovert adopts them, takes them under their wing, and teaches them because they can't make friends by themselves."

   "That sounds pretty fitting."

   "Yeah, but since we're both 'introverts' I guess we can't be friends." She joked.

   "Maybe we can't be friends, but you could be my girlfriend."

   "What?"

   "What-"